Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Woohoooo, PRAISE THE LORD!!!! Joe's temperature is normal now. :)

Monday was rough after the broncoscopy (aka scope thing.) Joe was coughing and coughing and his temperature went up higher than it's been all week (40.8). He was so uncomfortable, and having a difficult time breathing. So they gave him oxygen and started him on breathing treatments every 4 hours. He didn't sleep much at all that night. His fever never went down below 39.0 even though they gave him a few doses of steroids.

Tuesday Joe was completely exhausted. He kept nodding off any second there was nobody bothering him. He did enjoy the yummy lunch that Auntie "Avon" brought for him. Thank you!!!!!

Joe learned some breathing techniques early afternoon to help him get some release from all the hospital commotion and relax. It was so very helpful, and he's been practicing a lot. You can see his face just relax, which is really great.

Late afternoon Joe was given a high dose of steroids to bring down his fever. He started getting excited about finally breaking into a sweat!!! One of his best friends ever - Jay - came to visit him. It was so great for Joe to see Jay. As I've mentioned before he's a hem-onc dude of the genius variety, so he's been a great friend to have around.

In the evening Joe and I watched Napolean Dynamite! He was feeling pretty good. He started dozing off about 10pm. His temp was 36.7 by then. Shortly after that he was sleeping like a baby. He didn't hear the nurse, the beeping of his IV. Nothing. Joe slept a good 6 hours before waking up, and we all realized he was drenched in sweat. His sheets and gown were changed, and poor Joe was shivering from being cold. He snuggled under the covers though, and immediately fell asleep again.

His temperature was normal this moring. YAY! The only thing is he's feeling a little shortness of breath. He says he feels a million times better than yesterday though. Even when he was shivering at 4:30 in the morning, he kept saying, "this sure beats having a fever!" God's Love!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen and Joe,

Thank you for keeping us updated. I’m looking forward to checking the page everyday.

Karen, you are so amazing! I can feel your positive vibes jumping out of the screen. I’m confident that Joe will be fine with you being around. :) Joe, you have to get better soon and take us to Eat’n Park and that crazy all-in-one-sandwich place again! Yi-Shan will be coming to Buffalo soon, so hopefully we’ll have a chance to see each other before we move to Indiana (You guys have to come visit us there too!).

Please know that we are always thinking of you and Joe.

Love,
Osamu & Yi-Shan

Anonymous said...

Karen and Joe: Emily found your blogspot...so it was good to read your updates. We know all too well what you are experiencing. (I can't believe I am now commenting on two blogspots with such serious diseases, whose writers are so positive!!) We are remembering you in our prayers as well. I know that God is with you and hope you get to go home soon...so hard to be in the hospital for so long. Especially for doctors! Gretchen Allen (Works in Dr. Lan's office) P.S. Our 15 month granddaughter has HES/chronic eosinophillic leukemia in case your parents didn't mention it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe and Karen,

Haven't seen either of you for years and then I get this news! Hoping Joe continues to improve, and Karen, don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Best wishes,
Jocelyn Liang Freilinger

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that Joe's fever broke - I'm sure that it's a welcome relief for both of you. Just want to let you know that we're constantly thinking about you. Sending lots of virtual hugs your way!
Love, Lauren (& Eric)