Today is a big day, so please keep us in your prayers. It has been decided that because Joe's fevers were so high before the steroids, that they were stemming from his diagnosis. So today, he should be getting his first dose of a type of chemo that will be injected subcutaneously. I'll try to keep everyone updated on how that goes.
Thanks to Auntie Grace and Uncle Tim for bringing over a feast last night. It was so good, and great to see the smile on Joe's face while he was eating. :)
And before I go, two things...First, I just wanted to mention some people. (thanks for bringing this to mind Gretchen, I've been wanting to do this for awhile. :) ) John and Carole. And Emily, James and Alivia. Those two families are experiencing their own trials with cancer and leukemia. They also have huge networks of people who are loving them and praying for them. And they are also the most positive people you could meet. I truly believe that God was feeding us strength through their stories before Joe and I even knew we would need it. I've seen in them such faith and determination. Truth be told, I've never gotten the chance to develop a true face to face relationship with any of them. But I still feel that I know them, and feel a bond that is difficult to describe. All I know is that one of these days, we must all get together. Thank you John, Carole, Emily, James and Alivia for being fighters and being such an example to us!
The final thing I have to say...and I feel the above people should be able to relate. (Not sure exactly how to word this, but I'll do my best.) Through our journey that has just only begun, so many people have told me that I'm so strong and mentioned how tough it must be being in the hospital and caring for Joe. Here's the truth though. I truly hate to see what he is going through and anticipating what is to come. But I take joy in being able to to be present for him. I don't consider it a duty at all. It's a pleasure. I married that silly boy for a reason. And I promised to love him in sickness and in health, among other things. I truly cherish every moment I have with him. Plus, the two of us have recognized that God is truly breaking us and reshaping us through all of this. We are learning and growing each day. Couples and families go through different trials all the time that make them stronger - this is ours.
We love you all, and we love every word of cheer and encouragement that we receive. Praise God for new friends, old friends, unseen friends, and family. Thank you!
Thursday, July 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi Joe and Karen,
I recently heard the news about Joe. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Thanks for sharing your hardships and successes with us. We're with you every step of the way.
Best wishes,
Cathy Liang
Karen,
Not only are you a wonderful person, you are an AMAZING wife. There is no denying that... and no denying that Joe must appreciate & cherish every moment that he shares with you as well. You had me in tears over your big hug the other day. :)
I'll be thinking and praying for you both again today, that the treatment goes well and that you both stay strong. God Bless you guys!
Love,
Sara Mastandrea
Hi Karen and Joe!
Just wanted to say hello and that you are getting extra prayers today from me. Keep up the good fight, and keep on smiling (and know that it is okay when you don' smile - you'd never be able to fully appreciate the good without the bad).
God bless you both, and I'm sending you both big hugs!!!
Love
BethieB
Hi Aunt Karen and Uncle Joe-
I love you and I miss you. Mommy and daddy and me --we're praying for your boo-boo.
Love,
Hannah Elizabeth
P.S. Thank you for loving me.
Post a Comment