Well, the weekend was a bit tough. I stayed with Joe Saturday night because he was just feeling so fragile and vulnerable. It's so tough being in the hospital. It is difficult for Joe to sleep because his fevers have generally been worse in the evening, keeping him up. Saturday was extra incomfortable because he had all this contrast in his system since he had a CT scan and MRI. (That's all I'll say about that. I can just feel all of Joe's radiology cronies sitting on the edge of their seats preparing to laugh hysterically at my account of his studies...) It took all day and part of the night for him to get it all out of his system. Joe was so miserable. In the evening, he slept about 3 hours, and then couldn't fall back asleep between fevers, sweats, and going to the restroom.
Then in the morning, each time Joe tried to take of his glasses and nap, a doctor or nurse would come into the room. Poor Joe. He really needs some sleep!
Sunday morning his fever had come down...but it didn't stay down. He felt pretty miserable until mid-afternoon. Then he was able to eat some lunch and move around a bit. Joe ate quite a bit for dinner as well. YAY! David brought some goodies.
Now for a bit of entertainment. I don't want to mention any names, like Sheena for example...but I have to share this story. :) Last night, a friend...we'll call her Mareena. She came by the hospital to pick me up so I could crash at her place. I walked out of the hospital and headed towards her car. Lo and behold, what do I see? "Mareena" was crawling out from the back seat of the car. Weird. She had a sheepish grin on her face. Turns out dear "Mareena" left a can of coke on the ledge by her rear window. Unfortunately, her car was sitting out in the sun...And "Mareena" discovered that the coke had exploded ALL OVER HER CAR. Oooops. So she was wiping it all up. Her car has a nice sweet smell now. :)
This morning, I got to see Joe bright and early. He looked great this morning! Relaxed, happy, and hungry. :) He ate most of his breakfast, took a shower, and shaved. WOOHOOOO! Plus, Ariel was visiting, and he brought Joe all kinds of entertainment. (Be thinking about Ariel, because he's going to be a daddy very very soon!!!!)
One of the tubes in Joe's triple lumen hasn't been so cooperative. So Joe went downstairs today to see Dr. F. who fixed him right up. At 3pm today, Joe is getting a "scope-thing" (haha) to check out his lungs and such for any possible infection. He had a blood culture come out positive...but only one of four tubes drawn was positive, so everyone believes it was just contaminated. So we'll see how that goes. Joe's mom is with him now while I'm at home doing laundry. :)
I had lunch with Joe's parents in the waiting area. Joe's mom brought all kinds of goodies from whole foods. It felt like a little picnic. Very sweet!
Oh, and before I left, Pastor Jim came by to visit. He's a wild one! It was good to see him. He brought some fattening goodies too. hehehe. (Being thinking of Pastor Jim, because he's walking his daughter down the aisle on Friday!!!!!)
That's it for now. More laundry to be done. Thanks again for the emails, cards, and phone calls. As always, LOVE YOU ALL!
Monday, July 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You are in our thoughts and prayers everyday.
Ariel and Kelly
Karen,
I just heard the news about Joe recently. I'm hoping and praying for the best. Please give me my regards.
Michael Liang
Dear Karen,
Hi. I'm Ray's friend from Malaysia. My name is Gwen. Ray was just sharing about his friend from the fellowship and what he's going through and I asked him for more information so that we could pray along. So he gave me your blog site. I hope you don't mind. :)
It was just 2weeks ago that I found out about a doctor in Australia who was about to finish consultancy as an oncologist herself that contracted CA of the pancreas. She was a non-Christian but through the course of things and follow-up, she gave her life to the Lord at the very last few days of her life. There was such peace and joy in her. She went home to be with the Lord on Tues. Her funeral was so beautiful that her mother and a doctor colleague also gave their lives to the Lord at the end of the service. It was amazing.
I just wanted to say and encourage you that all things really do work together for the good of those who love Him and called according to His purposes - Rom 8:28. You are in my prayers and so is Joe. I'm sure its tough for him as well as a doctor to know that he is unwell... knowing full well the prognosis etc. But stay strong and stand strong in your faith. If there's one thing that's going to bring you guys through is God's grace and strength. Vicky (the Aussie dr) felt that strength and love of God so much. So did those around her. That same God is also working in and through your lives. I am trusting God for miracle healing for Joe. I know that God is still very much in the business of healing! Believing for complete healing and cursing the cancer to its roots!
Amen!
Really encouraged by your sharing. The joy of the Lord is REALLY your strength! Keep smiling!
Much love and prayers,
Gwen from Glad Tidings A/G P.J.
Joe and Karen
I just heard the news and visited your blog which is brilliant. I hope you're feeling OK, Joe.
It's hot in Philly, Ken Liu
KAREN,
I'VE BEEN KEEPING TRACK OF JOE THROUGH THIS BLOG. YOU ARE BOTH IN MY PRAYERS & I KNOW THE LORD IS LISTENING. HE'S PROBABLY SAYING "GEE, THAT JOE SURE IS POPULAR! THE PRAYER LINE IS CONGESTED!"
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF TOO. JOE WILL NEED YOUR STRENGTH.
GIVE JOE MY BEST...VIRTUAL HUG..AND MANY HAPPY THOUGHTS.
TERRY....(GENERAL RAD.TECH)
Post a Comment