Monday morning, Joe developed a rash for his birthday. A bunch of red bumps. He continued to get more as the day progressed. A bunch of doctors looked at the bumps, but still no clear answer as to what it is. They weren't itching or hurting him...but at times they feel tender. He was transferred to a negative pressure room on a different floor in case what he had was contagious. (We secretly...or not so secretly love the staff on the old floor better...but this bunch isn't so bad either.) Visitors now have to make sure to wear a mask and gloves around Joe.
As can be understood, Joe was pretty down on his birthday. He did have a few vistors though...some who made him tear up. Ahem...Brian and Ariel! Grrrrr... When I get the chance I print out emails and grab the mail and sit and read him all the love messages he has received. It means so much to both of us to get messages of all kinds...funny, sweet, thoughtful. It also means so much to hear that people all over are praying for us and sending Joe virtual hugs and happy vibes. :)
Joe got to chat with some friends over the phone. Then he was given a sleeping pill, so by the time I left, he was snoring peacefully. yay!
Monday night, I stayed at Sheena's place. She was the perfect hostess. It was nice to have the company, and she made sure I slept well and ate well! She even provided me with my own personal soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, and dental floss. :) If you ever need a place to stay in Oakland, give her a call, she'll take care of you. Hope I don't get in trouble if she gets a million calls. :)
Tuesday morning, Joe got to shower and shave which did wonders for his spirits. His rash got worse, but it still wasn't painful. The docs are thinking it is possibly a viral infection. He did receive another blood transfusion that started around noon. And he was wheeled downstairs where Dr. M. gave him a triple lumen so he doesn't need to be a human pin cushion anymore. He has been pricked and poked so many times for transfusions, and IVs, and blood draws. Poor babe.
He ate some food his parents ordered for him. Yum! Then in the evening he had two B.M.'s which amazingly made him feel SO much better. It's so cute, because after just a few days in the hospital, Joe has accepted that he no longer has any shame. Every person who cares to listen or needs to ask, he just tells all. And, since we keep trying to stay positive and make the hospital environment as cheery as possible, I praise him for silly things like really good burps!
Unfortunately, by evening Joe developed a fever again. He was given some Tylenol and Benadryl which made him feel better. He didn't want to take a sleeping pill until after the fireworks, but of course the Benadryl made him drowsy, so he was nodding off anyway.
Joe's parents came to check in on him around 10pm. I was going to go home to sleep. But before I left, Joe discovered some blood in his stool. We wanted to make sure all was okay, and I think he needed the company, so I spent the night. He was checked by an intern, and a consult was set up for morning. At 11:45pm, Joe's parents returned! Joe's dad made Joe's mom brew up some homemade ginger tea to try and help break Joe's fever. Too cute. In the middle of the night, Joe received another platelet transfusion.
Turns out, it's not all that uncomfortable sleeping with a mask and rubber gloves! Beth took care of me too, and made sure I had a pillow and a blanket.
This morning, Joe's fever is down a bit. He seems to be feeling good, and some of the red bumps seem to be getting a little better. A bunch of doctors came in, but didn't give us anything extra to worry about. The only thing of concern, is that Joe is feeling the same soreness and redness in his gums that he felt when he got the infection in San Diego. This time it's on the left side though. The broad spectrum of antibiotics being pumped through him should keep it under control.
Joe was able to eat a fair amount for breakfast, which is good! And, Joe felt good enough to kick me out of the hospital and send me home for a bit. So today should be a good day.
Well, that's it for now. I keep telling everyone he's a fighter, because he is! We will get through this. And Joe has promised to keep fighting and not make a liar out of me. If he doesn't put up a fight, he gets a mean face from me...which actually makes him laugh. :) Now it's just mean eyes. But Joe knows me well and can always tell exactly what face I'm making. hahaha.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment