Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Joe did it again! He got himself kicked out of the hospital. Woohooo, and Praise God!

We had some little moments of anxiousness yesterday and today. Yesterday, we were told that the cultures from one of Joe's lumens showed gram positive cocci. Also his neutrophil count was 10. But then we learned that this wouldn't prevent him from going home SOON. Joe started receiving IV Aztrenam and Vancomycin when he got admitted, so he was covered. Also, Joe was given a neupogen injection yesterday. Today his neutrophil count increased to 216. He kept telling everyone who would listen, "I'd like to go home please!" This afternoon, he thought his chances were doomed when the nurse had trouble flushing all three of his lumens. But it turns out that was a quick fix. So he was kicked out of the hospital! Tomorrow he has an appointment with the doctor, and he'll be getting a dose of Neulasta.

Besides the stuff mentioned above, yesterday and today at the hospital ended up being as good as a hospital stay can be! Joe and I played several rounds of Connect Four and Chinese Checkers. He is a Connect Four Pro...but I'm better at Chinese Checkers! Also, I got to hear Joe belly laugh several times, for the first time in a long time! I confess that part of it was because I was being not so nice about a certain newscaster who was sporting a rather...unique...hairstyle. It was really wonderful to hear him laugh though! Last night I camped out with Joe, and his nurse Mary Jo was such a sweetheart! She has taken care of Joe in the past as well, and we just love her. She has this way of being so motherly and caring without being overbearing. Each time she enters the room, she make us feel as though she has no other concerns but us...and she makes us feel like we are her favorite people! Mary Jo is so easy to talk to, and Joe always feels comfortable asking her questions about anything and everything. Mary Jo always knows just what to say and how to say it make us feel prepared for what is to come or understand what is happening. Just a great, great nurse!

Now we're back home and Joe is SO glad to be back. YAY!!!!!!!!

No comments: