I want to thank everyone, from the bottom of my heart, for the overwhelming amount of love and support extended to me and my families this past year - and especially this past month. It has been an extremely challenging year, to put it mildly. Yet despite all of the heartache, despite the hardships, despite the fact that I miss my husband more than I thought possible, I have experienced something beautiful. I wish that Joe and I could have learned what we learned without him enduring so much suffering, and without him being called home so soon. I wish we had the opportunity to take what we learned and grow old together, travel the world, experience parenthood. I wish and I wished for so much. But ultimately, the prayer of our hearts was that the desires of our hearts would match God's will for us. God has a greater plan in all of this that I have no right to question. I do feel that I have been privileged enough to catch just a glimpse of that greater plan, and what I have seen is stunningly beautiful. The Lord used Joe in a mighty way. One of Joe's attendings at West Penn told Joe at the beginning of his journey, "you have been called to active duty." Joe stepped up to that challenge with such grace, beauty, and faith.
Joe stated in his last week, "I feel that I still have a lot of living that I could do. But I also feel that I've lived a full life. If God feels it's my time to go home, then I'm ready. And if all that I have been through has helped other people to live better...that makes me happy."
Knowing this has given me incredible peace in my heart. Sure, I still hurt. But there is also a joy in knowing that Joe "pressed on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called him heavenward in Christ Jesus." There is joy in knowing that God truly used Joe to touch so many lives. There is joy in knowing that Joe is finally in a place with no tears, no fears, no pain, and no worries. And let's be honest here, there is joy in knowing that Joe must be pulling some strings up in heaven, because HOW ABOUT THEM STEELERS??????
So many people attended the viewing. So many people attended the funeral. So many people have written comments, sent emails, cards, gifts, and called us. It has been amazing to hear how Joe's life impacted so many others. I must say that I wasn't surprised. Joe helped me to change so much. And he helped our brothers and parents to change so much. What humbled me was the number of people who were inspired by me. I risk sounding cliche, and even fake or conceited, but I believe that anyone in my shoes would have done the same - possibly even more. Joe was the best husband for me, and what I did for him pales in comparison to what he did for me. Even when he was so sick and needed help doing everyday things we all take for granted he was loving, patient, and apologetic towards me. I love him so very much. Throughout our journey, I know that many people questioned the fact that I stopped working. The thing is, while I believed Joe would survive that stupid leukemia, I also recognized that we were contending with something very ugly. Because I had the privilege of being able to stop working I had to do it. I never wanted to look back and regret not spending enough time with Joe. Turns out, even under the circumstances, the time I had with Joe this past year holds some of my most cherished memories. We had a rare opportunity granted to very few couples, to be in a situation in which all of the "stuff" that makes up a relationship was filtered down to what was most important. And so...just to up the sap factor here, I present to you our wedding vows...
In the presence of God, our family and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.
The neat thing is that while we shared our vows in the presence of God, our family and friends - through the wild and crazy world of blogging we were also given the opportunity to live out our vows in the presence of God, our family, and friends.
I have so much to be thankful for. I truly do. I am humbled by all of the love that has been extended towards us and I'm not quite sure how I will ever be able to justifiably express my gratitude. One thing that I aim to do is to do continue the journey that Joe started and stand up to the challenge of being called to active duty.
~~~~~
Translation by my Indiana Dad...
謝謝您 (Thank You ) Translation
一年來我和我家人得到的愛和支持是無限的﹐我衷心的感謝每一位朋友...特別是最後這一個月。這最具挑戰的一年我用語言無法表達出來。只是不管我多麼心痛﹐多麼艱困﹐多麼思念我的丈夫﹐我還是有一些美麗的經驗。我希望耕歆可以和我一樣學這麼多﹐而不必遭受那麼大的折磨﹐也不必那麼快就蒙召。我希望我們可以用學到的東西一起活到老﹐一起周遊世界﹐一起做父母。我以前希望過﹐現在還是這麼想。我們迫切的祈禱,希望心裡要求的和神的計劃可以一致。
可是到頭來神有更大的計劃,我無法違背。我覺得神已經給我有機會一窺那偉大的計劃了﹐那確實是非常美麗的。上主用耕歆完成更偉大的事工。耕歆初發病時﹐他的主治醫師跟他說﹕你被征召應戰了。耕歆用恩光﹐美麗和信心接受這個挑戰。
上週耕歆說﹕我覺得還可以繼續生活下去好做很多事。我也覺得我已經有過充實的生命了。如果神認定我該走了﹐我已無憾。如果我所經歷的會讓別人生活得更好-那我就快樂了。
這番話讓我心裡有意想不到的平安。雖然我仍傷痛﹐可是我也心覺喜樂知道耕歆衝向目標﹐在主耶穌裡進入天國﹐得神獎賞。我覺得喜樂因為神用耕歆來感動許多人。我覺得喜樂因為知道耕歆在那裡沒有眼淚﹐沒有懼怕﹐沒有痛苦﹐沒有憂慮。坦白一點說﹐我覺得喜樂因為耕歆在天國一定在拉什麼線﹐不然怎麼匹玆堡鋼人足球隊忽然贏得刮刮叫﹖
那麼多朋友來看耕歆最後一面﹐參加告別禮拜﹐寫感言﹐寫電子信﹐送卡片﹐禮物﹐打電話鼓勵。很驚喜耕歆的一生會影響那麼多人。但是我也不覺得奇怪。
耕歆大大地改變了我﹐也改變了我兩個弟弟﹐我兩邊的父母親。讓我更感謙虛的是我能啟發那麼多人的心靈。別笑我假惺惺﹐我認為任何人在我的情況下也會這麼做的﹐甚至做得更好。耕歆是我可能得到最好的丈夫﹐他為我做的遠勝過我為他做的﹐縱然他病得很厲害﹐我幫他做些平凡事﹐他也表現出對我的關心﹐忍耐和歉意。我愛他甚深。發病初期﹐有人關心我為何要辭職﹐事實上是﹐我相信耕歆可以贏過這討厭的白血病﹐我們也了解到後果可以很惡劣。既然有所選擇﹐我非辭不可。我要儘量和耕歆在一起﹐以免後悔。即使在這種情況下﹐這一年我還是擁有最珍貴的回憶。我們有別人難有的機會﹐把夫妻生活在一起的點點滴滴過濾到最重要的一點。那就是--我想為您重溫耕歆和我的結婚誓約--
在神﹐家人﹐朋友面前﹐我宣誓對您的忠誠﹐不管生病或健康﹐好時光或壞時光﹐快樂或悲傷﹐我會無條件的愛您﹐支持您達成目標。尊敬您﹐以您為榮。和您一起笑﹐和您一起哭。一輩子珍愛您。
難得的是我們對神﹐家人﹐朋友的這一宣誓﹐可以有機會經過這無遠弗屆的布落格向大家見證說我們做到了。
我真的有很多要感謝的。這麼多朋友對我們的愛讓我更感謙卑﹐我真不知道要怎麼樣做才能適當的表達我的感激。有一個目標我想做的是﹐我將追隨耕歆一年前堅強接受的征召和挑戰﹐繼續完成這個使命。
林(藍) 佳連 Karen Lin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
I can't imagine anyone would give you a hard time about not working during this period. I think it is great that you were able to do that. You have opened our eyes to so many things, that we knew about but never really thought too much about because it was unpleasant and hadn't happened to anyone we knew. While many of us haven't actually met you, we still feel as if we were on this journey with you through your blogging.
Dear siser:
I'm wei-tse. I felt shocked when received the sad news and also felt touched when read your thankful expression. Wei-shin and I kept concerning your blog and preyed for you all the time, especially when I recalled Joe's smile and kindness in Philadelphia.
If there is anything that we can help, please let us know. Though there is a big gap between here and U.S., but please taking care with our blessing and love.
Love you
WeiTse
Dear Karen:
Thinking of you, so I went to your blogspot. And thanks God you are still in here.
9/29/07 is our Taiwaness Bible study group. Wishing you and all your two families could come.
Chu-Yuan
You are a beautiful person. His magnificent light shines through you and Joe and there is not a day go by that I stop admiring and loving you. Thanks for such beautiful and touching words.
p.s.(You are bad,you made me cry again)
Hi Karen,
Oh my! I'm speechless after reading that! You are such a beautiful and mature woman in the Lord and I am praying that His strength (and your trust in Him) will help you during the days, months and years ahead! What a testimony and witness you are to others! You have no idea! The Lord is smiling down on you and I can guarantee that Joe is too!! You are continuing to carry on what Joe was all about and how awesome a man of God he was! Karen, although I am sure you are hurting because of how much you miss him, you will be carried through this because of your strong reliance on the Lord. Never let a day go by that you don't call on Him or seek Him for your strength! He will be there for you all the way. But, somehow, I don't think I need to tell you that. God bless you and know that there are still MANY who are lifting you up in prayer. Joe's life had an awesome purpose, even if it was shorter than we would have liked. Thanks so much for sharing. You are a beautiful writer and a lovely woman in the Lord. God brought you and Joe together because He knew how much you would bless and care for Joe! A dedicated prayer partner~
i'm so glad that i read this tonight, on our second wedding anniversary. you remind me yet again of what is important in my relationship with andrew. as always, your ministry is in your being. love, lisa.
Elegant!
I agree that you give credit of the STEELER'S winning to Joe.
Q
Dear Karen,
What beautiful words. Continuing to think of you and your families constantly. You truly are an inspiration.
Much love, Lauren and Eric
You are just so amazing. Of course, much of it certainly has to be God upholding you through this time, but He gives us the choice - to be held and stand tall, or to wilt and succumb. Clearly you've chosen the former, and are running on to finish the race, obtain the prize - and He is giving you so much already, even in the midst of sorrow.
It's a real blessing to see you standing strong through this, Karen. You and Joe are true witnesses to what real love is, and many will be blessed through you both...You are still in our prayers. We're all on active duty...The beautiful thing is that in the "end", which is really the beginning, what we see now as casualties of war are really going to be one more victory for God, and He'll bless us for bearing up under such burdens.
Again, we're still praying for you. *hugs*
Dear Karen,
Greetings from CA. I just want to reiterate what I said before... that you are too cool (thus a perfect match with Joe)... and that brings a few tear drops to my eyes sometimes ... largely for the joy of knowing God's love in your heart and the amazing love you and Joe had shared together.
"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12
Talk to you again soon.
BIC, pbc
Karen, the love you & Joe share speaks through your heart and shines for the world to see. You are the most graceful person I have ever known.
I love you!
You are AMAZING! I don't know what to say...again, I am touched by your words.
Karen,
Amazing. Thats the best word I can think of to describe you. You & your family will always be in my prayers... I love you & think of you always. Please reach out to me anytime... I'm always here to talk, chat, gossip, etc. :)
Love, Sara
Karen..how beautiful. Joe ran a "good race and has attained the prize". I know you hurt, how could you not.......the Joe we all came to know and love was a wonderful man, and we only saw a fraction of that through the blog. I pray for you differently now, but I am still praying. Gigi
Joe is definately pulling strings with his football team. He laughed during the entire Cleveland vs. Pittsburg game. I smiled the entire time because I knew he had total control of the game.
You fulfilled your wedding vows beautifully and couldnt have made Joe happier.
~Shelley
Karen,
I only know of you and Joe through a mutual friend. Please know that your testimony of faith and hope has blessed me out here in Los Angeles. You and your family are in my prayers.
Karen, You are not being forgotten. You are thought of daily and kept in my prayers. Just because a little bit of time has passed by and we all have had to move on with our lives, doesn't mean you are forgotten. You are loved and prayed for by many but mostly loved and cared for by our Heavenly Father!!
謝謝您 (Thank You ) Translation
一年來我和我家人得到的愛和支持是無限的﹐我衷心的感謝每一位朋友...特別是最後這一個月。這最具挑戰的一年我用語言無法表達出來。只是不管我多麼心痛﹐多麼艱困﹐多麼思念我的丈夫﹐我還是有一些美麗的經驗。我希望耕歆可以和我一樣學這麼多﹐而不必遭受那麼大的折磨﹐也不必那麼快就蒙召。我希望我們可以用學到的東西一起活到老﹐一起周遊世界﹐一起做父母。我以前希望過﹐現在還是這麼想。我們迫切的祈禱,希望心裡要求的和神的計劃可以一致。可是到頭來神有更大的計劃,我無法違背。我覺得神已經給我有機會一窺那偉大的計劃了﹐那確實是非常美麗的。上主用耕歆完成更偉大的事工。耕歆初發病時﹐他的主治醫師跟他說﹕你被征召應戰了。耕歆用恩光﹐美麗和信心接受這個挑戰。
上週耕歆說﹕我覺得還可以繼續生活下去好做很多事。我也覺得我已經有過充實的生命了。如果神認定我該走了﹐我已無憾。如果我所經歷的會讓別人生活得更好-那我就快樂了。
這番話讓我心裡有意想不到的平安。雖然我仍傷痛﹐可是我也心覺喜樂知道耕歆衝向目標﹐在主耶穌裡進入天國﹐得神獎賞。我覺得喜樂因為神用耕歆來感動許多人。我覺得喜樂因為知道耕歆在那裡沒有眼淚﹐沒有懼怕﹐沒有痛苦﹐沒有憂慮。坦白一點說﹐我覺得喜樂因為耕歆在天國一定在拉什麼線﹐不然怎麼匹玆堡鋼人足球隊忽然贏得刮刮叫﹖
那麼多朋友來看耕歆最後一面﹐參加告別禮拜﹐寫感言﹐寫電子信﹐送卡片﹐禮物﹐打電話鼓勵。很驚喜耕歆的一生會影響那麼多人。但是我也不覺得奇怪。耕歆大大地改變了我﹐也改變了我兩個弟弟﹐我兩邊的父母親。讓我更感謙虛的是我能啟發那麼多人的心靈。別笑我假惺惺﹐我認為任何人在我的情況下也會這麼做的﹐甚至做得更好。耕歆是我可能得到最好的丈夫﹐他為我做的遠勝過我為他做的﹐縱然他病得很厲害﹐我幫他做些平凡事﹐他也表現出對我的關心﹐忍耐和歉意。我愛他甚深。發病初期﹐有人關心我為何要辭職﹐事實上是﹐我相信耕歆可以贏過這討厭的白血病﹐我們也了解到後果可以很惡劣。既然有所選擇﹐我非辭不可。我要儘量和耕歆在一起﹐以免後悔。即使在這種情況下﹐這一年我還是擁有最珍貴的回憶。我們有別人難有的機會﹐把夫妻生活在一起的點點滴滴過濾到最重要的一點。那就是--我想為您重溫耕歆和我的結婚誓約--
在神﹐家人﹐朋友面前﹐我宣誓對您的忠誠﹐不管生病或健康﹐好時光或壞時光﹐快樂或悲傷﹐我會無條件的愛您﹐支持您達成目標。尊敬您﹐以您為榮。和您一起笑﹐和您一起哭。一輩子珍愛您。
難得的是我們對神﹐家人﹐朋友的這一宣誓﹐可以有機會經過這無遠弗屆的布落格向大家見證說我們做到了。
我真的有很多要感謝的。這麼多朋友對我們的愛讓我更感謙卑﹐我真不知道要怎麼樣做才能適當的表達我的感激。有一個目標我想做的是﹐我將追隨耕歆一年前堅強接受的征召和挑戰﹐繼續完成這個使命。
林(藍) 佳連 Karen Lin
Karen,
I am in awe of you strength and grace that show through in your wondrous words.
I was thinking of you so I stopped by.
Take Care,
Allie
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of us; yet we cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
--Ecclesiastes 3:11
with love and prayer for Karen and her families.
ml
Bravo,ml
What a nice quote from Ecclesiastes 3:11
And thank you, Karen. You are quite a testamony.
g
Post a Comment