Thursday, September 06, 2007

The longest day.

Today was the longest day that we have ever experienced. This whole week has been so very hard. I'm not even sure what to say. Please pray for our families. Each day this week Joe's breathing has steadily declined. He went from nasal cannnula, to oxygen mask, to non-rebreather, to BiPap. Joe was also drowsy each day from pre-medication and pain medicine. However, Joe amazed everyone each day. As sick as he was, Joe would make the effort to sit up a bit each day. When talking to him, it was clear that he was lucid. He brought up fun memories, reminded certain people about certain important dates, and made goofy Joe jokes.

Albert and I have been staying with Joe around the clock. It was great to have some company and support. We had several mini-scares this week, but Joe kept pulling through.

This morning was different. In the wee hours of the morning, while Albert and I were helping Joe we noticed that he was a very different person from yesterday. He just couldn't seem to focus or make eye contact. With the family, we had to make the extremely difficult decision of having Joe moved to the ICU. There he can be monitored around the clock and given the attention and care he needs as he continues to be treated for his infection. The hardest part of all was that Joe had to be intubated. It was just the saddest day. Joe is heavily sedated, so we keep telling ourselves he is just resting. He has been putting up such a hard fight!

We are still holding on to hope though. It is amazing how many lives Joe has touched. He is SO loved. There wasn't a dry eye on on T-7 today. Joe has befriended all the nurses, housekeeping, and dietary staff. You know that is just a tiny fraction of the people who love Joe and are storming heaven with prayers.

I have to leave you with a story and my current source of hope. Last year, I volunteered to help with Vacation Bible School at our church. I was in charge of Bible Adventures. It is a station that the kids rotate through each day. We do interactve skits that share a bit about an event in the Bible. Well, I kept begging my dear sweet husband to help me out at least one of the days. He made some silly excuses, but ultimately agreed to help me one of the nights...because he loves me. Thursday, June 22, 2006 was the day before Joe was diagnosed. I went to the church first; Joe planned to meet me there. Unbeknownst to me, while Joe was getting ready at home, he was suddenly overcome with a feeling of darkness. This is when he decided to get his blood drawn the next day.

At church, Joe did a stellar job of entertaining the kids. Interestingly enough, he played the role of Lazarus. I played the role of Levi. In the skit, we played best friends. I was mourning the death of Lazarus and telling the kids about my buddy. Then suddenly, a knock at the door. It was Lazarus! He emerged with an armful of bandages and shared the story of Jesus raising him from the dead. Oh joy!

One day later, Joe was told he probably had leukemia. Let me tell you. I can not get that day of VBS out of my head. Right now, in my heart, I can't help but believe that maybe that was a sign. Maybe, God was preparing me. Because now, I feel my heart breaking because of what Joe is going through. I just feel so broken. And yet...I know that Jesus loves Joe, just as he loved Lazarus. So I continue to hope and pray for a similar miracle...Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" Praying. Praying. Praying.

The Death of Lazarus
1Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair. 3So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick."

4When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." 5Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days.

7Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea."

8"But Rabbi," they said, "a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you, and yet you are going back there?"

9Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours of daylight? A man who walks by day will not stumble, for he sees by this world's light. 10It is when he walks by night that he stumbles, for he has no light."

11After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up."

12His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better." 13Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.

14So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, 15and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him."
16Then Thomas (called Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, "Let us also go, that we may die with him."

Jesus Comforts the Sisters
17On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. 18Bethany was less than two miles
from Jerusalem, 19and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. 20When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.

21"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."

23Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

24Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

27"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ,
the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

28And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. "The Teacher is here," she said, "and is asking for you." 29When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. 30Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. 31When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.

32When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

33When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled.

34"Where have you laid him?" he asked.
"Come and see, Lord," they replied.

35Jesus wept.

36Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him!"

37But some of them said, "Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?"

Jesus Raises Lazarus From the Dead
38Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39"Take away the stone," he said. "But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days."

40Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

41So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."

43When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" 44The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."


~John 11:1-43

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh....Karen....I am at a loss for words.

Thank you for taking the time to share what is happening so that we can focus our thoughts and prayers. Intubation is a horrible thing - but I pray that it is giving Joe's body a rest so that he can focus all of his efforts on fighting this infection.

You, Albert, your parents, and your families are in our prayers. And of course we will continue to pray for Joe.

Evonne, Thomas, and Leah

Anonymous said...

karen, i wish i had words to comfort you...we continue to pray and have sent your story to many others to pray...i love you!
ressica jicketts

Anonymous said...

Karen, thank you for keeping us posted on Joe's condition. Know that we are thinking about you all and will continue to pray for Joe, you, and your families.

Love, Brian and Monica

Peanut Butter Cup said...

Dear Karen,

Joe has been so blessed to be married to a faithful, joyful, and loving wife as you. I will continue to keep you and Joe and your family in my prayers. I hope for the best for Joe!

BIC, Patrick.

"in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom 8:37-39

NETS said...

I am so, so sorry. Please know that Nathan and I are praying for the two of you. Words cannot express how deeply I feel for you. My husband is the most important person in my life, and I can't imagine living just one day of your life...you are by far, one of the strongest women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
Much love and prayers.
Neysa

Nancy said...

Dear Karen,
I'm at a loss for words as well. Know that we are all thinking and praying for you and Joe. He's been such a fighter and I have no doubt that he'll continue to battle. We appreciate your strength and ability to blog, even when it hurts. Try to take care of yourself during this difficult time. all our love, Nancy & Mark

Anonymous said...

My dear Karen. I am also at a loss for words. Thank you for keeping us updated on everything. You and Joe and your families continue to be in my constant thoughts and prayers. Lots and lots of love, Lauren

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Oh Karen, I am so sorry to hear what a rough week its been, and how sad and scared you are. I just don't know what to say.

Your story from VBS is so touching, and it is no accident that you are thinking of it now. God & his angels are trying to tell you to believe and keep on praying and hoping!

I am praying that Joe's body is healing even deeper in ICU, as well as for your continued stregnth
as you go through this.

Sending you love always-

April said...

Karen,
We are praying for Joe and for you. Paul and I are here for you if you need anything.

April & Paul

Anonymous said...

Crying........weeping.........walking this path with you.........i know that it hurts more than you can imagine. my words are meaningless.......so my prayers will continue for a miracle. please Jesus, don't tarry another moment....give yourself glory now...heal your son, joe. we can only say help, jesus, for you know our hearts........they are broken....gigi

Anonymous said...

I am so so sorry for what you, Joe and your families have been through this week. I am not sure what to say....

You are all so wonderfully strong and I am certain that you will persevere. I'm hoping that Joe's body is getting a lot of rest so that he can recover more easily.

You will all remain in my thoughts a prayers.

Anonymous said...

God Richly Bless you sweet Karen ... I am Praying for Joe... and for you.
You are in my heart ...
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,
Thank you for keeping us know the latest information in such a difficult time. We really don't know what to say... We are so far away from you and can't even give you a hug when you really need it. We believe that Joe is a blessed person and the miracle will be shown very soon. Everyone here continue to put you two in our prayers.

Love,
Uncle, Auntie & Peichen

Anonymous said...

one of the girls posted for prayers and I came running. YOu know we are all thinking and praying for you and Joe. My god be with you.

Donna said...

i too am at a loss for words. I will keep all of you in my prayers now more than ever.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I don't think there is anything I can say to make you feel better. But please know that armies of friends and family and strangers are praying for you and Joe, and I am one of them.

Elizabeth (brideofaussie)

Alivia's Momma said...

Karen....
I know the sounds and sight of the ICU. I know how your heart is scared to have a loved one in there. I know the way it feels to see someone you love so deeply intubated and I know how I cried out to the Lord. I will cry out now in the same way for Joe and for you. I was the mom, not the wife so I dont' understand that part of it.

It's so strange how when they enter the ICU you suddenly have all this free time that was before filled with taking care of them. I remember feeling out of the loop and out of control. I pray that you will have things to occupy you and your times Joe will be sweet and quiet. Then when he gets extubated you can tell him of all the things you talk about when he was resting.

Must love
Emily

Anonymous said...

Karen and Joe
I am with everyone else at a loss for words but thankful that God knows our hearts. I continue to join with all in storming the heavens mightily with prayers. God I especially ask you to be with Karen, she is so strong and so faithful, and she needs you so much now, just hold her in your arms, let her feel your presence and peace near her at all times. Continue to give Joe the strength to run with perseverance this race you have set before him. Lord please help me out here when I feel so helpless.
Thank you so much for the blessing of Joe and Karen on so many lives.
We thank you that through You all things are possible!

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I just wanted to drop in and show some support. I am still praying for both of you as well as your families. We know that God has the power to perform miracles. Just stay strong in His faith and in his love...He never fails!

Bekah

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I cannot tell you how inspirational you and Joe are. It is just so incredible to see such unwavering faith through the most difficult of circumstances. You and Joe are a blessing to so many people. I know that there are no words that I can give to make anything easier for you, but please know that we are here for you. We’re constantly thinking about you and Joe. We’re constantly praying for you and Joe.

We love you guys! SUPER *HUGS*

Sarah and Mike

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I am sorry that you had to make the deicision to move Joe to ICU. I continue to think of you and pray for you both.
Your VBS story brought a tear to my eye. I think it could be a sign too.
Please let me know if there is anything at all that i can do to help you.
jen (beaksgirl)

Anonymous said...

You know that we are always thinking of you. You know that leaving comments here is also a way of easing our pain and helping with our 'helplessness' out here in the real world. Thank you for including us in your journey and giving us the opportunities to witness His Grace and Love.
You two are always in my prayers and thank you both for teaching me to be strong, loving, faithful...
Sha

Anonymous said...

dear karen,

you and joe are in our prayers, thoughts, and hearts. the two of you are so strong and such fighters. just know that the two of you are so loved.

joy lynn

Anonymous said...

Karen,
May God keep you and bless you. I continue to pray for Joe.
Alice

Melissa said...

Please know that so many of us continue to pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe, Karen, and all your families:
We are still with you and continue to pray.
Love
Chu-Yuan and Min-Hsiung

Jayme said...

My heart is aching for you and your family. I join others in "storming heaven" for you and Joe.

Jayme (close2it)

Unknown said...

I know you must be devastated, to see you your husband on a ventilator, but try and stay strong, let the medications try and work and keep faith that he'll fight the infection, even if modern medicine may not have all the answers your love can do so much for him at this time. take care, Lauren (from the nest)

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, just thinking how sad and scared you are makes us heart broken! You and Joe are both such beautiful people and have touched and inspired the soul of so many. I continue to pray for Joe's full recovery, because we need Joe and you. The world is a much better place with you in it.

Lots of love, Yi-Shan & Osamu

Anonymous said...

Your faith in God deeply inspired us. Our prayers are with Joe,you and both families.

Pittsburgh Taiwanese Bible Class

Annie and Greg said...

I have been following your story and I am sorry I have not commented earlier. You and Joe have been in my prayers and will continue to be. I am constantly in awe of the power of God and I know that He is walking with you during this journey.

- copilot from the nest

Anonymous said...

Joe, you, and your families are in my prayers! Hang in there.

Tara
WPH Radiology

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen and Joe,
It is finally time I post instead of just sending emails.
Here is a song by Third Day that is one fo my favorites and somehow seemed especially fittng with your story. I think they will forgive me for making some minor lyric changes.
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, you are loved.
Thank you for your blog and allowing us to have a place to cope too.
God bless
Caryn

"Rise Up" (Third Day)
[Well, I was there when your world turned around]
[And now this journey seems so long]
Somehow you wish that you could only find
A little strength to carry on

[I hear the faithful prayers to heaven storm]
[I feel the hearts that are undone]
So I am here to prove that I alone
Have the power to overcome

Don't let your heart be troubled
This world will never keep you down
It will never keep you down

So rise up, my friend
No, this will never be the end
So rise up, my friend
And live again

I didn't want you to feel this way
It's not what life was meant to be
And so for you, my friend, I'll take your [pain]
You can give it all to me

'Cause you've wrestled [evils] every day
And they've dragged you to your knees
But in your weakness you will learn to find
That I will always be your strength

Don't let your heart be troubled
This world will never keep you down
It will never keep you down

So rise up, my friend
No, this will never be the end
So rise up, my friend
And live again

In life or in death
Through joy or regret
And all of the secret things you have done
No matter what comes, my friend
Nothing can keep you from the love of God

So rise up, my friend
No, this will never be the end
So rise up, my friend
And live again

kt said...

Dear Karen :
I hold you & Your family closely in my prayer.
I'm praying that God will give you all peace in whatever changes each day.

It is overwhelming and you try very hard to stay positive ....God is with you and we know when you cry, He cries.
Life goes on in the midst of....life, I suppose! We know that God is in control and we are not...so we do our best and trust that God will honor that.

We'll continue to pray for Joe and all of you.

Anonymous said...

Joe and Karen,
We're here! We're praying! Keep fighting!
*huge hugs*
Sara/Labattsmom

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts are with you. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do that would help you. Your neighbor and friend,
Greg

Anonymous said...

Dearest Joe & Karen,

Although we can't be there, our praying are always with you and continued...
we love you so much and really want to give you bear hugs!!!

"Peace I leave with you ,
my peace I give Unto YOU "
John 14:27

Lots of love &blessings
3rd-auntie,uncle &Yi-ting