Friday, September 07, 2007

A new journey.

Friday, September 7, 2007 at 8:10pm, dear beloved Joseph went home to be with the Lord. He probably just wanted to make sure that he had the best seats for the Steeler game on Sunday...and maybe he is having a discussion with God about changing the color of the clouds to black and gold.

I didn't know that it was possible to feel complete peace and completely broken hearted at the same time. I do still believe in miracles. The miracle was Joe. And complete healing happened the instant Joe went home.

Please continue to pray for our families.

104 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD! Im soooooooo sorry!
~Shelley

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen (and family),
Our hearts are heavy to hear the news. But we rejoice because we know that Joe lived a full life in his 33 years. We know that he fought a good race, never giving up his faith despite his sufferings and he will be amply rewarded when he meets God. Probably Christ might be calling him a good and faithful servant at this instant.
Stay strong, uur thoughts and prayer continue to be with guys...

Wishing we could give you a good hug now,
Ping, Louison and Ethan

Unknown said...

Dear Karen

I have always held onto THIS HOPE...

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.

"If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.

And you know the way where I am going."

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?"

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
John 14

We will ALL see him again!!!

Let Us know if there is anything we can do

Kenny and Carol

Anonymous said...

Karen, OMG, I AM SOOOOOOO SORRY!!!! I feel so sad for you...you have had a wonderful attitude throughout this whole thing and you didn't deserve this :-( I pray for both of your families.

-Ellen (ellenchris0506)

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,
I am praying for you and all of Joe's family that God will give you peace and strength. Love, Ellen

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints. Psalm 116:15

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

I can't believe what I'm reading. This doesn't feel real. I don't know what to say. I can only imagine what you and your families are going through right now. God bless you all, you are amazing.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and my heart is breaking for you all. Please take comfort knowing that Joe has received the ultimate healing... he is home with our Lord.

Unknown said...

Dear Joe & Karen and your families,
My heart broke, all of our hearts broke along with yours when we heard the news tonight at CrossRoads. We were just going to break up to pray when Eric received the call. God is so curious with His impeccable timing, isn't He? Just amazing. We cried, we prayed for you and Joe and your families. We're here for you Karen. You're magnificent beyond belief; still smiling and being playful to the very end...actually a brand new beginning. Praise God that He took Joe home. Joe is perfectly healed as we had prayed for...a miracle indeed. I know it's hard to smile now; it sure is hard for me and the others. We're here for you Karen! We love you! BIG HUG!
Love,
Jomei

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you and your family. I hope that your faith brings you great comfort and peace. In reading your blog, Joe's and your faith amid carrying his own cross has strengthened my own faith, which seriously lapsed after my own father's death to lung cancer a couple years ago. God bless you and your family! May you find peace in knowing that Joe is with God trying to take care of you now as well as you took care of him! I am so so sorry!

Melissa H.

Anonymous said...

Karen,
You don't even really know me, I went to USP, you may remember my husband Marco. I have been following Joe's journey for a while now, and have been praying for him and for you. I am so sorry for your loss, words can not express. Praise God for the peace that only He can give. We will continue to pray.

Liz (John) Bustos

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and your family.

I am so sorry.

You and your families are in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless You, dear Karen.

Jodi (jrfgirl)

Ben Wu said...

Karen,

Oh no. We are so sorry. What remarkable strength and courage all of you have shown for such a long time. It feels so unjust. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love,
Ben & Kristin

Anonymous said...

I hope Joe and Livi run into each other.....I think they will have fun. gigi

Anonymous said...

Dearest Karen, the Lins, and the Lans,

I hope you can be at peace knowing that you have done everything right, with such strength, grace, valor, and love. I hope you have no regrets. As unfair as it may seem, obviously the higher powers above had a mission for Joe and you.... At the same time, I can't imagine the heartbreak, which I share with you. I'll continue to pray for you, and I'm here for you anytime.

Much much love,
Cousin Lilly

Anonymous said...

My dearest Karen
My heart breaks for you yet knows your strength remains in the Lord. What a precious gift He gave to both you and Joe. I am more in awe then ever at His wondrous works. I wish I knew what to do or say so I will just give you what I know. Here is a song I hoped never to have to share with you but it seems fitting now.
It's called "Breakfast Table" by Chris Rice, you may have heard it

Was it a million miles to heaven
Too far to hear my lonely song
Or is it just my imagination I hear you humming along
I only hold you in my dreams now
I wake up with cold and empty arms
Lord help me get through this long night without you
And soon as the morning comes
Soon as the morning comes

Save me a seat at the breakfast table
Save me a dance around the Milky Way
And save me a thousand years to whisper in your ears
All I’ve wanted to say
Save me a smile and an angel’s feather
Save me a walk down the streets of gold
And baby, we’ll change our minds just like old times
And maybe we’ll just fly away
Or maybe we’ll stay

My lucky doll, you’re in heaven before me
You were my taste of heaven here
Remember we loved to talk about it, we couldn’t wait to get there
So you go on and find your way around now
But remember I’m here missing you
Do me a favor and say hey to Jesus
And tell him I’m missing him too
Tell him I’m missing him too

Then save me a seat at the breakfast table
Save me a dance around the Milky Way
And save me a thousand years to whisper in your ears
All I’ve wanted to say
Save me a smile and an angel’s feather
Save me a walk down the streets of gold
And baby, we’ll change our minds just like old times
And maybe we’ll just fly away
Or maybe we’ll stay

mikey's sister said...

Karen, Albert, Dr & Mrs Lin, Dr & Mrs Lan,

My heart breaks for you, even knowing that Joe is in a better place. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you.

Jocelyn

mikey's sister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Words can not express our grief. Praying that God will grant yu peace to ease your heart. Our prayers are with you and your families.

Pittsburgh Taiwanese Bible Class

Unknown said...

Dear Karen, Lin family, Lan family,

We are all grieved to hear the sad news of Joe's passing but rejoice in the hope we have, knowing with confidence that our beloved Joe is with the Lord right now. And we look forward to the day when we will all be reunited with the sole purpose of praising our glorious Creator. While we will miss the company of our brother, let us take comfort in knowing that he is in the happiest place on earth. A place devoid of pain and suffering. A place full of life and love.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Eric, Vivian, and the rest of CrossRoads.

NETS said...

Dear Karen,
I am not even sure what to say...
I am so sorry. I hope that your faith can help you through this dark part of your journey here on earth. You are such a strong, loving woman, I know that you will handle this with grace...like always. I am thankful that God gave you and Joe time together after his transplant; I know you two made the best of every second of every day.
I am praying for you and your families.
Love,
Neysa

Anonymous said...

Karen, I'm so so sorry to hear about your husband. Please you know you are in my prayers.

Tracy

Unknown said...

Dear Karen, the Lin and Lan family,

My heart goes out to you. Joe lives in all our hearts and memories. He is in Heaven right now smiling down at you. He would want you to feel the peace that he is in right now.

As for me, I will always remember Joe with a big smile wearing his Steeler uniform and hosting football games at your place.

Karen, you are so precious in God's eye. God is holding you tightly in His arms and He won't let go until you say it is okay.

What an amazing journey Joe went through. Let us look forward to reuniting with him in the future.

love,
Joanna

Peanut Butter Cup said...

Dear Karen,

My heart aches for Joe's passing. You (and family) have my deepest sympathy. At the same time, I also rejoice for the wonderful life Joe had on earth and for the glorious life He now gains in God's Kingdom. I have been so blessed by you and Joe's friendship, gentleness, faithfulness, and general coolness! I pray that you will continue to find comfort, strength, hope, and joy in our Lord, who is our Shepherd and Friend.

You (and family) are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me/XRD know if we can help with anything.

God bless.

BIC, Patrick.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Rom 15:13

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen and family-

My heart goes out to you. I pray that God will do for you as he promises in Zephaniah 3:17.

"The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Tobi (LNFBride05)

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,
All of our family are so sorry to know the news. We know that Joe had fought such a long time, it is very hard for us to accept it. He was lucky to have you there during the long journey. We are proud of you. The miracle not only shown in Joe but also in you.
There is no word to comfort your lost. We know it is kind of cruel to ask you to be strong at this time, cry out loud if you want. We will keep on praying for you, your family and Joe's family.
We really hope we could be there with you to go thru this tough time. Please come to Taiwan soon, we will be here waiting for you.

Love & Hugs,
Uncle, Auntie & Peichen

Este said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Karen, we love you. Our hearts and souls are filled with sorrow today. Joe touched our lives in a special way.

Ariel, Kelly, and Walker

Melissa said...

I am so, so sorry. Heaven must have needed a new angel, but I know Joe will be greatly, sadly missed. May God be with you and your families at this time.

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

~ Karen (Hartley - from the nest)

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Karen, my heart breaks for you even as heaven welcomes their newest angel and son back home. There aren't words to say how sorry Dave & I are for you. Please know we are thinking of you, the Lin family & the Lan family as well. God blessed you with Joe - may he continue to bless you.

Cara said...

Karen -

I've been following along for some time, all the while keeping you, Joe and your families in my thoughts.

Now more than ever my thoughts are going to you and your families through this dark time.

I'm sorry for your horrible loss.

Cara (carabean)

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I'm crying for you and Joe and have never met you. You two are an inspiration.
May God bless you -- and may your newest angel help keep watch over you.
Sara/Labattsmom

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care of yourself as you took such good loving care of your husband.

Annie and Greg said...

You continue to be in my prayers.

Amy said...

I had a sense of dread this morning when I saw a post to check your blog. It's amazing that hearing about the loss of someone that I have never actually met in person can make me cry and feel such a loss.

*huge hugs*
MrsAmers

Unknown said...

Dear, Dear Karen,
My heart goes out to you. I have been folowing your and Joe's blog and have been praying for you from the begining. Please know that I am here for you and your family and that I continue to pray for your heart to heal.

Much love,
Kate (Frick) Montgomery and Family

Unknown said...

Dear, Dear Karen,

My heart goes out to you now. I will continue to be praying for you and your families. Please know that I am here for you for anything.

Much love,
Kate (Frick) Montgomery and Family

Emma B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma B said...

Karen, no words can express the feelings I have right now. I am so tremendously sorry for your loss. You are an incredibly strong and courageous woman. Know that Joe will always be watching over you now that he is with God in Heaven. God bless you always.

Emma (emmaandmike)

LisaBe said...

this world will never be the same without him. we have lost someone funny, compassionate, and devoted. i am without words to express my sorrow for your personal loss, though i'm comforted to know that your faith is helping you through this. we will be thinking of you both with every steelers game.
much, much love,
lisabe

SW said...

When you walk through a storm
hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of a storm is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.
Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never, ever walk alone.

Anonymous said...

Karen (and Family),
My heart is saddened by the loss of Joe; however, I know that he is with God and watching over all of you.
May God bless you all and comfort you,
Sylvia Lesic

kt said...

Dear Karen,

Words were not in our command, even though you’re in our constant thoughts and prayers throughout this ordeal, this trial and tribulation. We read your blog everyday and often many times a day. If we hadn’t seen the new addition for a few days in a row, we prayed all quiet in the Western Penn Hospital, and not that you’re consumed by the events and couldn’t find time and energy to write.

We may not have answers for why this should have happened, but we can always find the strength and comfort from Him and you did.

It hasn’t escaped my notice in reading your blog that the doctors and staffs at Western Penn Hospital have made a laudable and heroic effort; they have given all their knowledge, skills, wisdom, and compassion in this fight; they have deployed all conceivable and available medicine in the armamentarium at their disposal.

“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” (by Abraham Lincoln) It was not an unfinished life; with you in Joe’s journey, it was a fulfilled life.

Like Apostle Paul said in II Timothy 4:7, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” No doubt we have heard our dear Joe said the same thing justifiably.

Your two families will continue to be in our prayers.

Katy & Jer-Yuan Tsai

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

I am so shocked to hear the news. I cannot really express in words what I am feeling now, but I know that God is in control and will give you strength throughout all this. My prayers are with you and your families.

TK

Jayme said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Even know we've never met your story and strength have touched me in ways I cannot describe.

May the Lord be with you at this difficult time. You and your angel will be in my thoughts will be in my prayers.

Jayme (close2it from the nest)

Anonymous said...

What incredible support Joe received during his illness. And now, Joe will live on through all of his friends, supporting them.

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you. Your neighbor and friend,
Greg

Dorothy Yang said...

Dearest Karen,
I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and that my thoughts are with you and Joe. May the Lord continue to bless you and comfort you during this difficult time.

Dorothy Yang said...

Dearest Karen,
I'm not sure if my previous post posted, but I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you and Joe. May the Lord continue to bless you and cover you during this difficult time.

Dorothy

Anonymous said...

Karen....

*hug*

Crystal

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

I've occasionally been hearing your news through Rachel and was devastated by the most recent update. She posted a link to your site a while back, which I looked for again to find you. I'm not sure if you remember me... I was in ACF a few years ago and sometimes ran into you (like at the first Women's Retreat at the Otts'). I just wanted to write and let you know that, like everyone else here, I'm so encouraged by your and Joe's faith in the Lord. Thank you for sharing and believing and being so faithful! You're in my prayers...

Julie (formerly Huynh)

Unknown said...

Karen & Family,

My heart broke when I heard the news. My heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you. I know it doesnt help now, but you will see Joe one day again. The story isnt over yet -- who knows even know what kind of impact you, Joe, and your families' testament of faith is making to others. In such a short time, all of you have been such amazing blessings to so many.
Love,
Anita

Anonymous said...

http://www.inspiringthots.net/movie/letter-heaven.php



http://www.inspiringthots.net/movie/i-am-sorry.php

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, the Lins, and the Lans,

We are so sorry. Our hearts go out to you all.

Love, Brian and Monica

Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking for you Karen. You're such an inspiration as you are so brave and peaceful with life. I know I don't know you, but please know that I'll say an extra special prayer for you, Joe, and your family today. ~Clare

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

I am very saddened to hear this news. You and your family are in my prayers.

-april (april25)

Anonymous said...

My Dear Karen, Our hearts ache for you and your families. We were so sorry to hear the news. Take care of yourself, and please let us know if there is anything at all that we can do for you. Lots of love, Lauren and Eric

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, the Lins, and the Lans:

We are so sorry to hear the passing of Joe. He was such a nice young man. We will miss him very much. Our deepest sympathy to you. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Harry & Jean Hsu

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been following Joe's fight since the beginning and you should be so proud of both of your love and strength and faith during this unimaginably difficult journey. You and your family and Joe will be in my thoughts.

Amy (nyc212)

Anonymous said...

Karen, we will continue to keep you both in our prayers and in our hearts. Your deep faith and courage are an inspiration to so many. May God abundantly bless you in this time. Sending you love and hugs.

Sarah and Tim (sarahandtim)

Alivia's Momma said...

Karen....
As I have said a thousand times since Alivia died "I'm not sad for her I'm sad for me." I'm not sad for Joe, I'm sad for you. Joe is free of pain and in the presence of the Great High Priest and he gets to meet my little girl (who I'm sure was waiting for him with open arms). It's us poor folks left behind who are still in an imperfect world and still long to be in Heaven. If you even need someone to talk to who has been there and knows some of what you are feeling please please e-mail or call or write a letter. A ton of people are going to say the same thing over the next few days. They will all mean it as much as I do. Don't be afraid to take them or me up on it.

In sorrow
*E

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, Lins and Lans family:
We are very sorry to hear we loss Joe.
Our thoughts go out to you with deepest sympathy. May you all find comfort in each other in this difficult time.
Please keep in touch.
With Love Chu-Yuan and Min-Hsiung

Grace & James said...

Dear Karen & the family:

This is Dr and Mrs Hu, Your mother called yesterday before they leave to Pittsburgh, I was hoping that Joe would be still fine, I'm so
sorry, I can imagine you, your family & Joe's family are going through now.

Karen, you are a very brave young lady &
have a wonderful attitude through this entire ordeal, please take comfort to know that your
Joe doesn't have to suffer anymore & he is home with the Lord now.

You take good care of yourself & stay strong, I hope after everything has settled, your parents will take you somewhere for just a little rest or something, may God with you. your family & Joe's family, please tell your parents that we are thinking about all of you.

From: Grace
Dr & Mrs Hu & Children

Jennifer said...

Oh Karen I am so sorry! My heartis breaking for you right now. Stay strong and remember all the memories of your Joe. He is at peace now. Hugs

-new_to_pgh/Jenn

naginata said...

Karen,
I am a late comer to your story but our family was praying with you all this week.
We'll continue to pray for you all and I'm glad there can be some peace for you all even through your pain.
I'm wearing black and gold today for Joe. :)
Much love,
Cate
(a virtual friend of Lisabee)

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words. Both you and Joe's strength, courage and unwavering faith were very inspirational. The two of you lived your marriage vows.

May God be with you and your family during this time. I will continue to pray for both you, Joe, and your families.

Kris(kris356)

Anonymous said...

Karen,
You have been in my prayers all night and all day. I am so, so sorry for you and all of your family. Cling to the Lord Jesus and draw upon His amazing grace. Joe was such a hero and fought so hard for not only himself, but you as well. We think of the words in Hebrews from the faith chapter, "men of whom this world was not worthy." Joe was one of them!
Prayers continually,
Anita -- Amy Wilhoite's mom

Anonymous said...

Karen, Albert, and your families -

We are so, so sorry for your loss. Joe fought his battles with dignity, grace, and courage. You will all continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

I will look for those black and gold clouds.

Evonne, Thomas, and Leah

Anonymous said...

Dearest Karen, Dr. and Mrs. Lin and Dr. and Mrs. Lan, and Albert,

May peace be with you all from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. For He is the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. May His words sustain you and keep you and comfort you in time of grief.---inspired from 2 Corinthians 1:2-3
Much love,
David and Shung Ching

Anonymous said...

The Lord can take away life, but he can never take away love.

Anonymous said...

Karen & Family,

You are all in our thoughts and prayers and will continue to be as you start this new journey. The way that Joe (and all of you) handled the last year - with humor and dignity - was a true inspiration.

Meghan & Rich

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

My tears, thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathy go out to you now. I feel your loss and pain. I will miss Joe very much. I know that's Joe's spirit will live in our hearts. He left a lasting impression on all of us. His courageous will, fight and attitude in battling the disease was such an incredible witness to everyone. He was a pillar of faith and strength in the hearts of many. Joe was incredibly blessed to have a truly wonderful, loving and caring wife like you Karen. God took good care of Him through you. Your support and love for Joe in the good times and also in the bad times will always be a great testimony for all of us. May God bless and pour out His comfort and the support of friends and loved ones unto you and your families during this difficult time. Although the time that I spent with Joe was very brief here on earth, I look forward to that day when I see him up in heaven and spending the rest of eternity with our Lord and Maker, (and waving those Terrible Towels!) What a beautiful day that will be.:-) You're in my prayers Karen. With Christ Love and Peace,

Eddie

I also just wanted to share this song with you Karen. It's called, "He's Waiting for You"

Chorus: Go down to the water and give yourself over. The captain is sending his heavenly crew
They'll show you the way on that glorious day
Jesus is ready He's waiting for you

There's a river that's rollin' it runs by your door
And the river will take you to far-away shore
Where the angels are waiting to welcome you there
In the land of forgiveness you never need fear

The great ship is leaving with a touch of his hand
The captain will take you to the bright Promised land
Your crossing is guided by a beautiful dove
And soon you'll be anchored in the harbor of love

You'll awake in the morning your journey is done
You'll walk in the light of a beautiful sun
And they'll be no more sorrow no heartache or woe
Jesus is waiting are you ready to go?"

by Demille/Huntington


We can be reassured that Joe is now in the everlasting arms of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Nancy said...

Dear Karen & family,
We're so deeply saddened to hear of Joe's passing. He fought hard. He's not hurting anymore and is in a better place now. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. love, Nancy & Mark

cheshire cat said...

Dear Karen, Lin Family, and Lan Family,
My heart breaks for all of you. I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Cathy L.

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen and family,

We are grieved by the sorrowful news. We will continue keep you in our prayers. Bryan and Karin Lee

Anonymous said...

Karen:

I am so sorry for the loss of your Joe. I never knew you in person, just followed your story from afar and prayed to keep Joe strong. You will continue to be in my prayers.

Sheila
bride2003

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, Dr. and Mrs. Lin, and Dr. and Mrs. Lan,

We are shocked and sorry Joe is no longer with us. We will miss his easy smile and ever kind heart. Praying for continued healing and peace for you all.

Love, Connie, Anthony, and Zachary.

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen,
My heart is breaking reading this news. I am so sorry. I never even got to meet Joe, but learned from you what a great person he was.
I will be praying for your family and thinking of Joe in heaven.
Jen (beaksgirl)

Anonymous said...

Karen and Family,

I'm so sad to hear about Joe's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You had the strongest love and we all can learn from your devotion. Stay as strong as you have been.

Love you girl,
Erin
(PGHErinPIBScott)

Anonymous said...

Hi I heard your story through Salt and light fellowship in Philadelphia. As a nurse who has watched similar journeys such as yours I wanted to say that the love between you and between God and you both is so evident in the struggles/joys you went through in these difficult times. Joe is healed now--you're right. The body is just a vessel for the soul God created. I'm sure he's chilling with God right now. Much love and comfort to you though I don't know who you are.

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, Dr.Lin & Ming-Yue, and Dr.Lan & Mei-Yin,

O, our hearts are saddened, our eyes are teary to hear the loss of Joe. May you all find strength and comfort in each other and in the beautiful memories that Joe left behind. Joe is at peace with God now. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, always !

The Lais @ Doylestown

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

We were so shocked and sad when we read your blog last night. We have been trying to think of words that comfort you, but just couldn't find any. We can hardly accept the news, because you and Joe had fought so hard for so long. But at least we find a little comfort in knowing that dear Joe is not suffering any more. Please take a good care of yourself, because we are sure that's what Joe wants to see most, too. We will miss Joe very much - his big signature smile, pure and loving heart, passion for life, and always amazingly positive attitude. Both you and Joe should be very proud of yourselves. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and both of your families. Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Big Hugs and lots of love,
Yi-Shan & Osamu

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

I am so sorry.

You and Joe are the strongest people I have ever met. You both have been an inspiration to me for your remarkable faith and resilience throughout this trial.

My prayers are with you.

Jeriel

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Karen. I still can't believe I read those words. I am thinking of you and praying for you and your families.

Melissa
(sigmakapbride)

Unknown said...

Dear Karen,
My father just got an email from Pastor Fullmer about Joe and we are very sad to hear about his passing. We will continue to pray for you. My dad has informed the church (here in Vancouver) to keep your family in their prayers.
We are thinking of you!!! Continue to stay strong.

Hugs,
Pastor Chang, Esther, Joy and Grace

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, I have never met you or Joe but I must say, what an inspiration and example of God's strength you two have displayed!! You can't even imagine how much of a witness and inspiration that has (and will be) to so many others! There was a purpose in Joe's life and wow,!! has it been fulfilled!! God is sovereign and was with you two all along in this journey with Joe. God bless you and keep you, Karen in the days and months ahead. You are covered in prayer, as I can tell from your blog. There will be one thing embedded in my mind and I'm sure many others: that "smile" that was always there in Joe!!! Even when he was soooo sick! He is free now and in the presence of our Lord! Lucky Joe! Take good care, Karen, as you know that's what Joe would want for you. ~Prayers from an anonymous partner with you through "Joe's Journey"

Krissy said...

Karen - My prayers and thoughts are with you during this difficult time. May you take peace in knowing that Joe is no longer in pain and he is your angel always watching over you from heaven.

~Krissy (Krissyb1212)

Anonymous said...

Karen,

We pray for you and your families in this difficult time. Take comfort in knowing that Joe is in total peace. The two of you fought an amazing fight. Your strength, determination, devotion, love and relentless positivity throughout the journey are an inspiration to us all.
Last night I reflected on Joe, and all I could see was his great big smile. I am sure he is smiling right now.

God Bless, and strength to your families...
Love,
Steve and Lora Repka

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I am incredibly heartbroken for your loss. I pray that God continues to carry you through this next stage of life w/o Joe. I pray that there is peace in knowing that you & Joe helped many people (like my family) tangibly understand what it means to walk in faith. And for that, I am incredibly thankful.

Joe will be sorely missed and never forgotten. Your families are in my thoughts and prayers.

*Hugs*
jennylin

Anonymous said...

Karen-

I have admired your strength and courage more and more, each time I checked your blog. The smile never left either of your faces, as the tears rolled down mine. To feel so emotional for someone you've only met online (TheKnot), only validates how amazing you truly are.

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you at this difficult time. Continue to be the strong, faithful woman you have been, until you meet again....

Much love and sympathy,
Jessica
(chicandsimple)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Dear Karen,

I've been racking my brain for the past few days on what I wanted to say because you and Joe hold a special place in my heart. Instead of dwelling on the sadness, I actually wanted to thank you. I know I've said many times that I want to be like you when I grow up, but I never said why.

When I first met you, Karen, you were always so cheerful and nice to everyone. I always thought that was a positive quality, but as I got to know you better and deeper in our friendship and through this time, I really saw how God was the center of your life and how mcuh you lean on Him in times of trouble. You really helped me see the power of God's comfort when you show complete dependence on Him.

God must think you and Joe are super special. He had you experience Him and love in your marriage in ways that many people never will. God must think you guys are tough cookies! I hope that for my marriage in the future, that I will have what you and Joe had.

I love ya, Karen! *HUG* I am praying for you and your family!

Love,
Rachel


P.S. Sarah and I were talking the other night and we imagine that he's met CoCo, Noelle and Boppy. They are probably giving him a great orientation of heaven and Joe is like "Whoa! Talking rabbits!"

Anonymous said...

Karen, The Lins and The Lans,
We are so sorry for your loss. Your strength has been such an inspiration. Joe, with his big smile and warm, caring personality will be missed by all. you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Jamie and King Hartman

April said...

Karen,
Our deepest condolences to you and your family. You are in our prayers.

April & Paul

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,

We are very sorry. :~(

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen:
Both you and Joe touched our lives in a special way.You have done everything your best with such wonderful attitude-love, deep faith,possitive,strength,courage and trust in God.We admire.
We think Joe was very luck to have you be his wife and to have you by his side to take good care of him whether or no.You must be a good supporter of Joe.We are pround of you.
Joe was a remarkable, wonderful &
lovable person. we all love him. Now ,He is healed .Joe is no longer in pain and suffering.Our beloved Joe is with our Lord now. Joe lives in our hearts and memories.His smiling,his witness,a good sense of humor,kindness---.
Dearest Karen , please take good care of yourself.I am sure that's what Joe would want for you.The Lord will guide you through this difficult time. We contiue praying for you and your families.
much love
2nd uncle,auntie
Ming,Ju and David
Ocean

Anna said...

Karen, my heart goes out to you at this difficult time. I wish you much peace and strength.

Love,
Anna (Decca from the Knot)

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen (and family)

Words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. I will pray for you. You are such wonderful, inspiring people.

Allison (allie357 on the Knot)

Unknown said...

Dear Karen and Family,

This is horrible, but strangely relieving news.

We check your blog every so often and each time are overwhelmed by your strength and patience through this journey.

How to predict, understand, and accept these kinds of terrible things that happen to us? I don't know and still struggle with this myself. Sure, faith and becoming stronger after these experiences makes us think we feel better. But, few would elect suffering given a choice (of course, we have none).

-Anton (and Sabrina and Uncle Carl)

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen, Lin family and Lan family,

We are so sorry to hear the sad newa. Joe is a strong fighter. He had fought the illness for long time. Fortunnately he has a devoted loving care wife and brither. Words can not express our grief. Hope the Lord will give you peace and strength. Actually we have been waiting for Dr. Lan's message regarding when Joe will go to Minneapolis for treatment, so that we can call our cosin, Dr. Liao, there to give Joe special atteation when Joe goes there. Instead we received the sad news first.

We are praying for you and your families.

Love,
Shou and Maggie

Heidi said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Karen,

There are really no words at a time like this. Drew and I are so grateful, and feel so fortunate, that we had the chance to meet and know Joe, and see you two together. You and Joe are what I remember most about dance lessons... not the Foxtrot, not how to do a turn correctly, most certainly not how to follow, but the way you two laughed, laughed, laughed your way through them. Your love for and joy in one another was so tangible it seemed that I could reach out and hold it in my hand. I don't have to tell you how precious and rare your love for one another was and is, and I am more sad and sorry than I could ever adequately express in words for your loss.

We love you, we love Joe, and we are holding you in our thoughts and prayers, always.

Love from California,
Anne & Drew (anneg)

Jen said...

Oh, Karen (and family) - I have no idea, no idea what to say other than I am so sorry. Of course we shall continue praying for you. You've been so strong through this, so trusting of God - what a gem you are in His kingdom.

"Those who sow in tears shall reap with joy..." God bless; you are in our hearts.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joseph:

You were blessed to have such a lovely family. Although your time here on earth was too short, it was fulfilled. You were not only intelligent, but also a very warm, loving, humorous, and caring man. You taught us so much. The precious love between you and Karen, and your firm faith in God really touched us. Yes, as Karen said, You are a miracle in everyone's mind that know you.

While we on Earth lost such a wonderful doctor, it is comforting to know that Heaven gained an amazing one.

Good bye, Joe!! This is just a temporary separation, and we look forward to meeting you one day in Heaven.

3rd -auntie,uncle. Yi-ting

Anonymous said...

I am truly so sorry for your loss. You don't know me, but I came across a post on the nest and that is how I came to find the blog.

May the lord bless you and keep you and give you peace.

Jesse said...

Karen,

I don't know if you remember me, but I went to Crossroads for 1/2 a year when I was back in Pittsburgh 3 years ago.. Through some of the crossroads emails that still come my way I learned of this blog, and would occasionally visit for updates and prayers.. I'm deeply saddened to hear of Joe's passing.. I didn't know you guys well at all, but I do have vivid memories of going to Mineo's with you guys and watching the Steelers lose to the Patriots in the 2005 ACF Championships.. and I've been very affected by hearing this terrible news, and feel a loss.. I remember Joe was a person full of humility, meekness, and kindness -- a good model of Christ. I am remembering you and yours and Joe's families every day in prayer, thought, and grieving all the way from Japan...


Jesse