Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Real shoes!

This morning, Joe decided he wanted to spend a few hours in the radiology department. He has been feeling a lot better, and he just wants to keep his feet wet as for as radiology goes. So Joe made the announcement that he was going to drive to the hospital by himself and stay for a few hours. Joe then proceeded to put on a nice button down shirt, slacks, and dress socks! When he got to his shoes, he said, "Wow! I'm wearing real shoes!" (He's been living in sneakers and flip-flops.) I'm not a parent yet (although, I pray that Joe and I have that privilege someday.) but I felt like I was sending my boy off for his first day of school!!!! For the past three months, Joe and I have spent most of our time together. People love to ask if he's driving me crazy yet. Joe can be silly and crazy, and I sometimes joke around and call him a slave-driver. But honestly, I LOVE spending time with him! Sappy me can't get enough of him. I'm just speaking for myself though. I'm too smart to speak for Joe. :) You'll have to ask him yourself if I'm driving him crazy!

Joe got his blood drawn. His hemoglobin and platelets continue to be within normal levels. His WBC was just below the normal range before, and today's results showed that they went down more. He is still in the "safe" zone, but we have to be more cautious now just in case they drop more. The first week after chemo is always when there is a possibility that his counts will drop. This is the lowest his WBC has been in several weeks though. We pray it is just for this week, and then they'll go back up again!

Joe attended conference today and then spent some time in the department. I don't know how much work he got to do, but at least he was able to spend some time with the residents and attendings! Thanks to Dr. Tabor for giving Joe some good reading! He's already started.

Today I'm actually going to post about a fun event for those in the Philly area that has absolutely nothing to do with drives or MDS or hospital stuff. Imagine that!!!!! I have a friend I met in high school at PGSA ( Pennsylvania Governor's School for the Arts). He is an incredible saxophone player, and an all around cool guy. Well, his quartet is performing this weekend at the Philadelphia Museum of Art! So a shout out to Jaleel Shaw!!!!! (I have his CD, and it is amazing!) Here are the details.

Hosted By::Philadelphia Art Museum
When:Friday Sep 22, 2006 at 5:00 PM
Where::Philadelphia Art Museum
26th st. and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19130

Jaleel Shaw Quartet:
Jaleel Shaw - Alto Saxophone
Aaron Goldberg - Piano
Joe Martin - Bass
Greg Hutchinson - Drums

The show is Free with a paid adm. to the Museum ($12)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our pastor and his wife came to visit with us tonight. What a good distraction. We laughed, I cried, had some good talks and all prayed together. I love them. We have known them 25 years...and we all probably think we are the same people we were 25 years ago! I am so glad Joe got to go into work...what a treat! GLA