Today, I have a real treat for all of our faithful readers. You're gonna love this. It's a post by none other, than Joe himself! Be prepared to laugh, cry, and be inspired. If you haven't already figured out that he is an amazing fellow...or if you forgot a little bit because it has been a while since his last amazing post, prepare yourself!
~~~~~
Yo.
I know it's been an extremely long time since I last blogged, so I know this must come much anticipated (at least by this guy in the Ukraine who keeps pestering me.) Well, work has been kinda busy lately. I think I bit off a little more than I can chew by trying to tackle the doctor stuff and cancer. I think I've been pulling something like a hundred straight all-nighters.
The truth is I don't have internet access in my jail cell, I mean, hospital room, so I'm transcribing this for Karen to enter into the blog. The past few weeks/months have been quite a roller coaster ride for us all. I have to admit that it was devastating to hear the news that this transplant has failed and I will be starting again from scratch. I don't think the news really hit home for me until I got admitted again into the hospital. But rest assured that all is well with my soul.
With all the books and movies that I've read and watched this past year, people have asked me why there seems to be a fair share of "depressing" material in there. I've recently read books like a long way gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, and A Thousand Splendid Suns and watched movies like Blood Diamond, Babel, and Happy Feet. What I've realized is that there is so much suffering of every kind in this world that I actually feel blessed to be where I am today. All of these stories have provided me inspiration and impressed upon me human beings' indomitable will to survive. There are people out there who literally have nothing or close to nothing, and I have the freakin' Verizon network behind me (reference to a previous blog.) I was telling Karen that in some countries (Fiji?) I might be considered a king with my automatic reclining bed, TV with DVD, books, endless food supply... We live in a country which has become so bloated, rich, and incredibly spoiled that there is 24 hour CNN coverage of Paris Hilton (really, what's up with that?!) and we whine when service is not fast enough or the water "tastes funny." I think we should wake up every morning thanking God for all the blessings he has given us.
Enough of my rantings...I wanted to thank everyone again for all of your support and prayers. Keep them coming! It's also been so nice to be able to visit with and talk to people. That really lifts my spirits. I've also been inspired to hear the stories of Alivia, Ann, Christine, Nancy, Erica, and Amy (see sidebar links) who are undergoing their own battles with leukemia. You guys keep me going as well. Several of you have commented on our blog, and I thank you so much for your words of encouragement.
Did you know that there is actually such a thing as "Chemo brain?" I heard it mentioned on the nightly news so it must be true, right?! Anyways, I leave you with a funny story. With fevers and being so drugged up all the time, I often forget things that I've said or things that have happened. This is especially true of the first week I was hospitalized. Apparently, late one night, I told Karen I was employing "Kung Fu Move #2-1-3" and I asked her when she wanted me to bust out the other moves. Then, I apparently put my hand on her forehead and blessed her with "Tai Chi Serenity Four Blossom Shade." Hmm, let's see...interpreting chest x-rays and CT scans may not be my forte right now!
Anyway, just wanted you all to know that I continue to slowly improve every day. I've already been in the hospital for three weeks and I have no idea how long I'm still going to be here, but I'm made from pretty hardy stock. For now I bid you adieu. And what the heck...I'll also bless all of you with Tai Chi Serenity Four Blossom Shade, but only if you use it for purposes of good.
Joe
~~~~~
Thank you to Sharon Feng
Ming-Chen, Bill, & Evan for the e-cards!
Thank you to the Revival Life Group for the card you sent.
Thank you Auntie & Uncle Yang for coming to visit us. We always love seeing you. :)
Thank you Auntie Emily, Uncle Tom, Ruby, and Stephen for the really wonderful gift. It is really amazing that you read Joe's mind, because your gift was something that he was just talking about yesterday morning!
Thank you Uncle Joe Tan for your really wonderful gift. You probably don't know this, but Joe secretly would love to be a cowboy, so the gift was perfect.

8 comments:
Hi Joe,
Here are the nicest looking and smartest brothers in the whole world. Thanks for the pictures. Love them. Albert is a best brother one can expect. You are lucky to have him. We are very lucky to know him. It is also so surprising and touching to see your writing again. I am so touched with tears each time I read them. Your courage and attitude will help a lot of people you know or not know. I am so proud of you and wish your prompt recovery.
ML
Once again, I am amazed by your optimism!
Always praying!
Neysa
Hello Joe and Karen
I am praying for you..
I pray God grants you comfort and healing..Peace be with you
Phyllis
If you're up for it, we are all right here with you. You look wonderful, in fact, I think you look better than Albert!
Happy Feet has become my personal favorite, but then you may not have tried Elmo In Grouchland, yet. Elmo is very cute!
Hey, don't believe nuthin you hear on the nightly news! "Chemo brain", I wouldn't put that one out on the worldwide blog! Pretty soon it will be a legitimate defense for all kinds of crines.
And who is Paris Hilton? I believe that some terrorist cooked up the whole plot just to drive us nuts with drivel. Now, she has chemo brain...see what I mean about the defense? GLA
Hey Joe,
It's so great to hear from you! I'll be praying and wishing that you start feeling better VERY soon.
Sara
so dear Joe, oh, no, it should be Joe jan :-D (I like that book, too)
Glad you got some time to post for some very cool pictures (not silly at all).
Take care,
prayers, hugs, kisses, Ok maybe not...
I personally think, Joe, that you are the better looking brother, MDS and all! Tonight at HMC is a CMV conference. Some big muckety, muck (w/o chemo brain i guess) is presenting. Bet you could do it with one hand tied behind your back. As your face your extended journey into transplant land, we here are continuing to ask, seek and knock for your healing. Thanks for the encouragement about how blessed the USA is...but how could you even give P.H. space...why aren't they focusing on you and your life. Way more interesting, brace, incredible, than any dummywood personality!!!
God bless, The allen's
Ok, is "chemo brain" contagious? I have commented twice on the same blog! Yikes!GLA
P.S. I keep saying I am not going to sign my comments or just not do them, but I have no self-control!
Post a Comment