Saturday, June 23, 2007

1 year

Joe continues to amaze me each and every day. His strength is incredible...Today marks one year since we started this battle with MDS. One year. I still remember the tears, the fear, the shock. Just one day earlier we were enjoying a wonderful and "normal" life. We were so sure that Joe's blood tests would come back normal, we would heave a sigh of relief and move on with our lives. The following week we visited with the doctor, we sought a second opinion, we cried ourselves to sleep.

Now it has been a whole year. In some ways it seems impossible that it has only been a year. In other ways, it seems impossible that it has already been a year. Now we are at a new beginning. Not exactly the new beginning we were hoping for at this point. But it is still a new beginning. Joe and I know that we are stronger, more hopeful, and more optimistic than last year. Joe says his body is a tank (he was actually more specific, but I don't know anything about tanks...i do know that he upgraded himself from a hummer.) Indestructible. Yeah, he has a few dents. Yeah, he seems to keep losing his sense of direction. But those are all things that can be fixed. God is good. Really and truly. To witness how far Joe has come mentally, spiritually, & emotionally in the past year has been a truly beautiful thing. But to quote a saying my dad often says, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"


We received some hopeful news yesterday. IF the doctors can figure out all of Joe's meds (taking some away, switching some to oral, reducing IVs...) Joe just might be discharged at the beginning of the week. We would still have to come back to Short Stay all the time...but Joe would be able to sleep in his own bed straight through the night. How wonderful would that be?


If you haven't already seen it, Jim and Jesse posted a new blog about their Marrow Trek. Those two are so amazing. Not only that, but they have officially more than doubled their goal of raising $5/mile. I also have to say that Jesse probably has the best fiancee ever. Really. She is an angel.
~~~~~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe and Karen,

When we left hospital last week. Joe asked for our group prayer. I was surprised with tears.
Not long ago, Joe told her then fiancee that he had rejected even with hostility to many calls in years to become Christian. Karen never preached to Joe. She never said:" I am not going to marry you if you are not a Christian!" She only behave like one. I could not stop crying when Joe gave witness on the podium after his baptism.
Old folk like me can no longer shed tears for ages. Other then losing my mother recently, in few occasions that I was teary all because of Joe's courage, love and faith.

Mandella is probably the most famous and respectful African in history. He was in jail for 19 years without changing his believes. Your uncle Rev. Kao is probably the most known pastors in native Taiwan. He was put in jail for 3 years without altering his faith. I think God put good men in test for better purpose. Everyday or every minute of hardship is meaningful if you keep positive attitude.

In the one year anniversary for your nasty ordeal, you are much stronger in strength and faith. You will win big. We love you and very proud of you.

Dad

Anonymous said...

VSL, I am right after you! I think that God is blessed and honored by Joe and Karen's faith in this past year. ..."The Lord ...does not grow tired or weary; His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint and to him who has not might He increases strength." Isaiah 40:28,29

Anonymous said...

Dearest Joe and Karen..
Even though I haven't written, I want you to know you are in my prayers.
You are in my thoughts..
GOD BLESS YOU
Phyllis