Our exciting news for this week is that Joe received his fourth CMV negative result.
Joe feels pretty great today. He says that if it weren't for the fact that his insides are causing all kinds of trouble, he'd feel like a pretty normal guy. Joe now only requires oxygen when he is sleeping. During the day, and during our walks around the unit he no longer needs it, which is wonderful!
Joe still experiences fevers. Usually they occur in the morning. So far, no sources of infection have been found, and so the most likely cause seems to be the disease process itself. But because Joe keeps experiencing fevers, there are all kinds of doctors that float in and out of the room all day to give their expert opinion. And because it is a teaching hospital, there are that many more doctors - because residents and fellows have to take a turn too! There really is no such thing as privacy in a hospital.
As far as the 'big picture' goes. We're still in a bit of a holding pattern. Joe's doctors are consulting with other doctors, and everything is definite...and yet not really definite yet. But it is looking very likely that Joe and I will be relocating for a bit. When exactly this will happen, and for how long is still all up in the air. But if you're lucky, we could be moving to YOUR city. :) If by some miracle, Joe is able to find a PERFECT (not almost perfect, but PERFECT) match super soon, then we'll be staying put for transplant #2. If this perfect match does not happen, then Joe will be getting an umbilical cord transplant. If Joe gets an umbilical cord transplant, everyone agrees that it should be done at a hospital with a lot of experience. Once all the doctors have finished their discussion, I'll share more. For now, it's more fun to be mysterious!
This second transplant thing is pretty scary to say the least. But Joe and I have had long discussions and prayers. We're human, so I can't say that we are not scared at all, ever. I can say that we feel a lot of peace. We're also seeing quite clearly that God's Hand is in all of this. It's really quite amazing.
~~~~~
Thank you to
Lauren, Eric, and Mookie (we loved the entertaining facts!)
3rd Auntie & Uncle (Joe is looking forward to the day when he can finally meet you!)
for the sweet e-cards!!!!!!!
Thank you to Auntie & Uncle Tzeng for stopping by (Sorry I missed you!) and the dried cherries. Joe had a wonderful time chatting with you.
Thank you Caryn, because you sent that gift package that keeps on giving! It's fun when we realize we've hit one of the dates!
Thank you 99th Auntie for always being so entertaining. We are praying for your family all the time.

6 comments:
I'm so glad Joe's CMV results are still negative! I'm really hopeful that you find a perfect match, as I don't want you to leave Pgh!! But I continue to pray for you both no matter where you are!!! Big hugs to you!!
Oh Oh... come to Tucson! The hospital is right next to campus! Not only would I get to visit on a regular basis, but I would send in my student employees to entertain you... they are very entertaining!
Love you!
Shelley
Personally, I think home is the best place to be, but if you have to travel, Seattle is lovely in the summertime . . .
You are so popular! Everybody wants you to come to their State, including me. Congrats on yet another CMV negative result! That's exciting. You are smart to go to a transplant hospital well versed in cord blood transplants, if that is what's to be. Good Luck, let me know if I can help with anything! love, Nancy
Karen, I want to be positive as well, but there is definitely something wrong with your nose! Haven't any of these docs said anything to you about it? I have plenty of opinions about residents and teaching hospitals...fortunately as time passes these stories become somewhat funny. One of our docs here is affectionately called Dr. Tunanoodle, not so much because of ethnicity but more what comes out of his mouth, as in...diagnoses.
My family crest was: "If you don't laugh, you'll cry!" Hershey does do cord blood, but you are too old to be on our wing!
We will stay negative/positive/translucent or whatever you need. 99th auntie
Hello from Indiana
I am stopping by for a few moments to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers
GOD BLESS YOU soooo MUCH !
Phyllis
Post a Comment