Hey,
It's me again. I guess I tend to blog in spurts but this one is mostly therapeutic for me. God works in mysterious ways, and He apparently thinks I need more challenge. And this may be the biggest challenge so far. My preliminary bone marrow biopsy results seem to show that my disease is one aggressive bastard mofo (30-40% blasts for those who this means anything) which transforms my disease from MDS to AML. This has me pissed. I am now sending out the Elite Special Forces Marines, you know, the ones that are psychotic and born that way! I am soon to be facing some high dose chemotherapy to get back into remission, but there is concern about the ever present CMV issue (which popped up positive again) and the state of my lungs. It would be great if the findings present on my chest CT scans would just go away because no one can guarantee that there isn't some brewing infection there. Everyone is curious to biopsy the lungs but any invasive procedure can be extremely dangerous for me at this point and may jeopardize my chance for a second transplant. I think I need the chemotherapy pretty soon, so please pray that all my doctors, me, and my family make the right decisions because timing is everything on this one.
On the bright side, the doctor I was hooked up with in Cleveland has turned out to be so wonderful and has been working above and beyond the call of duty, and I now have another experienced BMT doc on my team. Unfortunately for some, when the time comes, it looks like my second transplant will not be in Cleveland (Janet & Frank and Maria, I have to call you sometime. We were so excited to have you guys nearby.) I am being referred to the best of the best in umbilical cord blood transplants, which happens to be the U. of Minnesota, so that's where we plan to go.
Update on my bone marrow biopsy #9: I did receive sedation (Ativan and Demerol), and although it was the best biopsy experience I've had so far, it's been one of the sorest (is that a word?) after the biopsy. I guess there's a price for everything. I didn't grovel enough to take home that doggie bag... New environment... Threw me off my game... And Amy, if you are out there reading this, I am now neck and neck with you, but this is one race I'd gladly lose!
It is good to finally be an outpatient again, even if it's probably only for a couple of days. The plan is for me to go to medical short stay to get labwork and platelet transfusions until a decision is made on when to start chemo. I'll tell you... sleeping in your own bed with your wife next to you is like nothing else!
One final thing... I HAD to go to the driver's license center today to get my photo taken and get my license renewed. My license expires on Tuesday and I didn't want the hassle of dealing with an expired one. Fortunately, there is a center very close to our house, so Karen drove me there this afternoon. As we walk in there, a hundred other people apparently had the same idea, but we're thinking I had to get this done even though I'm taking a bit of a risk. Fortunately, the center is pretty spacious and it didn't end up taking too long. The funny thing is... the center looked like the UN. Seeing how Allison Park (where we live) is like 98.7% Caucasian (of course, I am exaggerating), we didn't know where all these people came from! There were all sorts of people in there, but I think I ended up being the most curious UN member. I was dressed normally, but having a surgical mask on gave me alien status. I was sitting in the back, and when they called my number, I walked confidently to the front desk with my mask on and I saw a hundred pair of inquisitive eyes! And this happened twice because I got my picture taken the first time and waited to pick up my card the second. A lot of people must have thought "TB!" because of that guy recently, or if they remembered far enough back, they might have thought "Asian guy! Bird flu!". So I tried to cough as much as possible throughout the whole process. Just kidding! That is no laughing matter kids. Under no circemstances should anyone accept those above mentioned serious diseases as payment for anything.
OK, I'm out. In all seriousness, please pray for Karen and me and our families about these upcoming days. I'd like to stick around to provide you with corny jokes and excruciating long self-deprecating blogs once every 3 months.
God's love,
Joe
Saturday, June 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Keep em coming Joe. I once was chastized for using "mofo" (well, just "effen"....which I truly think isn't bad, however, no one knew how I spelled it and it was misconstrued... so I have coined a new word....."frappin". Just borrowed it from some national coffee chain, which shall not be named. Thanks for the specific request on how to pray...do every day and won't stop until God heals you. Unbelievable to see what you are going through...and yet your view is still facetious . I am sorry to find humor in this horrential (now that is definitely not a word!) situation, but it is your own fault, you are quite funny! Praying, praying, praying and not "leaning on my own understanding"...well, trying not to cause that doesn't help me at all. Hoping and hoping G.
Joe,
I pray for you morning and night plus three meals. I pray God giving you more strength to win.
Countryside Mom
I am so impressed with your endurance and strength. You behave like a rock that enlighten lots of people. We love you and always pray for you for your complete recovery.
Qenga
Dearest Joe and Karen..
I pray that God Blesses you abundantly.. I pray for healing.. I pray for comfort and restful days .
You are both in my heart and my thoughts.
GOD LOVE YOU !
Peace be with you
Phyllis
Joe Joe Joe... You cant leave the hospital if your body doesnt cooperate. You need to talk to it again.
I'm glad you called in the special forces! They do some crazy stuff!! Be prepared!
Luckily your mom and Karen will have the Mall of America for strength.
Call me if you need stregth!
Love always,
Shelley
I think of you and Karen often. She was a wonderful person to my son Jacob. Your positive and humorous attitude is so inspiring. You put up a great fight! Keep up the good work. You're in my prayers.
sincerely,
dianna
Joe, I'm thinking of you daily! You can use any mispelled or unofficial words you want! Hang in there, stay tough and call in those special forces! You are an inspiration to me! love, Nancy
Go get 'em, special forces!
You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I just emailed your gmail account too.
Evonne, Thomas, and Leah
All the blessings the Lord has in store for you this year... Wish you the most wonderful birthday.. Happy Happy Birthday ,Dear Joe!! we all love you & very proud of you. pray for you ,karen,&your families every day 加油!加油!!加油!!! Love,3rd-Auntie&Uncle
Joe'
Happy Birthday! You were very smart to choose the day before July 4th for your birthday. Get well.
Nss
Hi Joe,
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Joe-0, Happy birthday to youooo! (it is better you read this than hear me sing it) You are in my thoughts and prayers as is Karen. Keep looking up -- we are standing with you.
Jim
Joe,
Just a note from Amy Wilhoite's mom... I am so sorry to read your news. You have now joined Amy and Baby Livi in giving me things to think about late in the night. You are in my thoughts and prayers often. Amy reads your blog with me when I am with her at the hospital. We understand and know what Karen goes through with you. Thank you for your faithfulness to leave messages for her too. May the Lord remove this disease from both of you and so many others, as far as the east is from the west!! Happy Birthday!
Anita Martin
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!!
Post a Comment