Monday, June 18, 2007

Cleveland Rocks!

A Happy Belated Father's Day to all the daddies out there. Joe and I have been blessed with two of the greatest dads ever. They are both amazingly smart. Smart enough even to be categorized as geniuses (our Indiana dad will at times even proclaim himself "a little bit of a genius!"). Also smart enough that the general public isn't quite sure what they are talking about half of the time. ;) More importantly, both of our dads are super lovable (did you know that you can spell that as 'lovable' or 'loveable?' I'm not sure, which is more official...). Growing up, everyone who met my dad would say, "Your dad is so funny, I just love him." Then I met Joe and everyone who meets my Monroeville dad says, "Your dad is so sweet, I just love him." Well, look at their smiles. What's not to love? :)

Joe continues to do as well as can be. He still requires oxygen when he sleeps. But Joe feels his breathing is getting better and better. At the end of last week, Joe had a CT scan that wasn't all that attractive. Once again, the doctors started throwing around possibilities like fungal infection and BOOP. That led to discussions about performing another bronchoscopy, or doing a CT guided biopsy or VATS. None of these procedures sounded very enticing at all. After Joe's meds were tweaked, it was agreed that all the doctors would continue to observe Joe over the weekend. If he showed clinical improvement, then any type of procedure could be postponed or canceled. Joe did in fact show improvement, so for now, no procedure.

Joe will still have a temperature here and there, but in the past couple days, Joe's temp. has not been much over 100. So there seems to be improvement there.

Now for the big picture. It is all very interesting. When Joe was first diagnosed, almost a year ago, a couple articles were published in some Chinese newspapers. After reading about Joe, a doctor in Cleveland contacted Joe asking if an umbilical cord transplant was considered. It had been considered briefly, but at the time it was decided that if Joe could get an adult donor who was a super close or perfect match, that would be better. A year later, Joe's first transplant doesn't seem to be cooperating, and no perfect adult donor has been found. Because of this, umbilical cord transplant seems to be a good idea. Several hospitals were mentioned, but interestingly enough, one of the pioneers of umbilical cord transplants in adults is right next door in Ohio. Not only that, but she works with the doctor who contacted us a year ago...AND, they both work at the University Hospitals of Cleveland. Why is this so interesting? Because Joe went to medical school at Case School of Medicine (I guess it is no longer cool to say 'Case Western Reserve University) and did his intern year at University Hospitals of Cleveland. (Yes, I've discussed with Joe that to be a great doctor doesn't mean he necessarily has to be a patient at each hospital he has worked.)

In any case, Joe has an appointment as an outpatient in Cleveland on June 29. Joe will get all kinds of tests and pokes and prods (yup, that means another bone marrow biopsy!) to see if he meets certain basic requirements, and then be sent home. Joe's case will be presented before a panel of doctors, and then they will decided whether or not to accept Joe as a patient.

Our prayer for this week is that Joe continues to get better each day (particularly his lungs) so that he is well enough to make this appointment in Cleveland. We are also praying that if Cleveland is where Joe is meant to be for treatment, those doors would be flung wide open so there is no question. If that is not where Joe is meant to be, then we pray that that is clear as well.

So dear friends in Cleveland, be prepared because we may be knocking on your door soon! (Lucky you!)
~~~~~~~
Thank you Lauren, Eric, and Mookie for more fun facts!!!!! We love them.
Thank you Jen, Joe, and Gabe for the sweet card. We loved all the updates.
Thank you Susan for the letter and all the photos with explanations. We are going through them slowly, because it is more fun that way. It is really neat to see so many familiar faces!!!!
Thank you Lilly P. for the card and for always greeting me with a big smile!!!!!!!!! You rock. :)
~~~~~~~
Lots of birthdays and anniversaries lately, and I remember some of them at least. :)
Happy happy birthday to
Ashlee, Patrick (pbc), and Gordon!
Happy happy 10th anniversary to Lilly and Vic. Woohooooo!!!!!
Happy happy anniversary to Sandy & Eric
And happy happy super belated anniversary to Myra & Sheru, and Brian & Monica.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It certainly is interesting how this is all unfolding, and the fact that God has known each and every thing that has unfolded. BOOP or VAT? My recommendation is definitely the BOOP!
Since I am a loyal Indianan (meaning a person from Indiana, Penna that is!!!) I belive Indiana dad is so nice and definitely a genius of sort:)!!! And I can definitely verify that 99.9% of the population doesn't understand him, but, and this is a big but, he always manages to bring most conversations back to the beginning, even if it is the most roundabout way!
So off to Cleveland, and some really young stem cells! Since the female cells didn't take, possibly because he is so manly, then I am sure the umbilical ones will! He may be crying a lot, but at least you will know why!!!
Thanks for the update, I am always waiting to read what is going on, and you know, will continue to pray with perseverance for you! gla

Anonymous said...

It certainly is interesting how this is all unfolding, and the fact that God has known each and every thing that has unfolded. BOOP or VAT? My recommendation is definitely the BOOP!
Since I am a loyal Indianan (meaning a person from Indiana, Penna that is!!!) I belive Indiana dad is so nice and definitely a genius of sort:)!!! And I can definitely verify that 99.9% of the population doesn't understand him, but, and this is a big but, he always manages to bring most conversations back to the beginning, even if it is the most roundabout way!
So off to Cleveland, and some really young stem cells! Since the female cells didn't take, possibly because he is so manly, then I am sure the umbilical ones will! He may be crying a lot, but at least you will know why!!!
Thanks for the update, I am always waiting to read what is going on, and you know, will continue to pray with perseverance for you! gla

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
I always picture you as you looked in second grade but I can see you have grown into a strong, loving woman of God. I am now praying for Joe, in fact our church is. I love the confidence you express in what God can do. He is the Great Physician! God bless you both,

Anonymous said...

Our doors are open to you and your family. And I promise you don't need to become a Brown's fan! I would be out numbered since Frank is originally from Pittsburgh anyway.
Always,
Frank & Janet

Anonymous said...

Embarrassing!

Yes, you were a second grader in the University school with a bad cough. I wanted you to cough on the handkerchief that pinned on your apron.
" Daddy, It's embarrassing!"
" Everyone knows that your dad is a doctor. You cough to them to got them sick. That's embarrassing!"
You came home that evening very happy and excited.
" Mom, Mrs. Sinclair said I am a good and smart girl to do that."

Joe and you are so lovable that made your blog a popular public arena. How can you now embarrass your dad in the blog with those compliments,Oh! wait a minute, uh...or insults!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.