Remember Sam Wainwright, who was George Bailey's friend in It's a Wonderful Life? Well, Karen and I just watched that movie recently...
Anyway, Happy New Year everyone! We hope you all had a wonderful Holidays. Well folks, in a day and a half, I will be moseying on down to the hospital for a little tune-up, an oil change of sorts. I go into it feeling moderately terrified but cautiously optimistic. Actually, a lot more than cautiously, but quite optimistic. I've got quite an awesome team behind me. I feel like that Verizon cell phone guy who's got that huge network in the background complete with helicoptors and cranes and not the guy with the phoney "network" comprised mostly of paper cutouts. (My cell phone is Sprint by the way).
You've all probably made some New Year's resolutions, but if you haven't done so, I urge you please to consider becoming a bone marrow donor. The chances are infinitessimally small that you will ever need to donate, but that opportunity to save a life is incomparable. Believe me, before all this happened, I would have been the first to stand in the "No Way" section because I was afraid of the pain and/or torture. This is nothing compared to what the patients have to go through. There's no doubt that my donor came about because of someone else's efforts. I saw somewhere that in the US (or maybe anywhere), there has only been one patient in need of a transplant who has ever found a donor through his own efforts.
These last few months have been great and I wanted to thank everyone who have called us, sent us e-mail, letters and cards, given us gifts, prayed for us, hugged us, gone out to dinner with us, visited us, hung out with us, and basically all out supported us. We've had a wonderful time and learned so much along the way. I've spent a great majority of time over the last six months reading voraciously. I recently decided to write down most of the books I can remember reading and came up with about sixty books. There is fiction and nonfiction and everything under the sun in there, so if anyone needs any good book recommendations, just ask!
More than anything, what I've learned these last few months is that life is good. If, in my 32 plus years here, I can dole out any advice, it is to be kind. We all share the same earth, and in the grand scheme of things, most of us have it so good. So go out and hug your loved ones a little tighter and be kind, be generous. Also, if you can think of it, be especially kind to my family, my in-laws' family, and most especially my dear wife, Karen. I can't imagine going through this without them. I can only imagine that the only thing harder than being sick is to see someone you love have to be sick.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for being my Verizon network (even though I use Sprint!) I'll be okay. This ain't no thang! I'll be looking to party with you in a few months.
Joe
Monday, January 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Hey Joe (and Karen),
Thanks for giving us your perspective and hard-earned wisdom of the last half-year. I'm pulling extra hard for y'all these next few weeks, and know you have what it takes to get through this. Looking forward to seeing even more of your feminine side shine through! Just think--after this you'll have such a great excuse for your "I-swee" (pretty-girl) tendencies!
Love, Cousin Lilly
Hi guys!
Just wanted to send you some love and prayers - I know that you are going to be stronger than ever and are in God's hands. I look forward to hearing the good news later this week - we all are pulling for you! Wishing you both a healthy and happy 2007!!
Love
Beth & Dave
Great to hear from you Joe. Your insight is priceless. Tomorrow is a big day, and God is in control of all our big and little days. The unknown is always terrifying...yet God had this day written in his book of days before he laid the foundations of the world. Sound cliche? Maybe, but these glimpses of eternity are a great comfort to me, hence (as only Dr. Lan can say) I share it with you. Much love and prayers...Gretchen
Our beloved Joe,
I haven't have my eyes wet for sometime until I read your two letters. I was so touched not sad. You're writing is so sincere. You totally caught my heart. Earlier I heard mom in the phone with Karen and advised her not to worry. Karen said: Mom, You're worse! Mom started to cry and asked: Am I worse? Joe, We are with you step by step. So do so many friends and relatives.
Dad, Mom and Victor
Dear Joe and Karen,
Your writings are beautiful - thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings.
We are sending you an infinite amount of virtual hugs, and you continue to be in our constant thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to hearing good news soon.
Lots of Love, Lauren & Eric
Dear Joe (and Karen),
We are so touched by what you wrote. You are such an amazing person with a very beautiful and sweet heart. It's not easy to be positive and optimistic, especially after what you have gone through in the past several months. Tomorrow is your big day, so please take a good rest tonight. We are praying extra hard for you and your donor for the coming weeks, too.
- a lot of love and hugs from Osamu & Yi-Shan
Dear Joe and Karen,
We are so very touched by your writings. I already cried a bowl of tears (Taiwanese). I am so touched by your love and perseverance. With God on your side, I know you will overcome this challenge. We are also very touched by your donor’s generosity.
We are all (everyone in Taiwan) praying for you and your donor.
We are waiting to see both of you, strong and healthy, in Taiwan soon!
From 3rd-Uncle, 3rd-Auntie, Yi-Ting, and all relatives in Taiwan
Hi Joe and Karen! (Maybe...Jaren?)
Six or so years ago, I couldn't even imagine having a brother-in-law. Now that I have one, I couldn't be more proud being lil' bro'-in-law.
I guess this is kind of cheesy...but I'll say it anyway - I took a whole course on the definition of "hero," and you fulfill the definition in every way. You are my hero, and I am very thankful to have you for an older brother.
-Victor J
Can you hear me now? Good!!!
Everything is going to be just fine!
Love ya,
~Shelley
Good luck, Joe!
Leave it to my big brother to take the words right out of my mouth . . .
Good luck!
Jocelyn
Post a Comment