Friday, June 01, 2007

Sometimes, staying negative is a good thing.

On Wednesday evening, we learned that Joe's CMV was still positive. But that result was from a blood draw taken early Monday morning. Today we got results from a blood draw done yesterday. It was a big fat NEGATIVE. Finally. Praise the Lord! I do think that maybe I've been too positive. Maybe all this extreme positivity made that silly CMV way too comfortable. So from now on...at least for awhile...as a bit of an experiment, my motto will be "staying negative." Yay for negativity!!!!!!!!

Joe is doing as well as can be. His oxygen has been decreased to 3 liters, from 6 liters. Joe's antibiotics are being discontinued one by one. All of Joe's cultures are coming back negative, which is a good thing. Yay for negativity, right? Also, CMV pneumonia has been ruled out, since Joe has been showing improvement each day. If it were pneumonia, he'd likely get worse before getting better. This morning, Joe felt well enough to walk a few laps around the block, which is the 7th floor. Today Joe received platelet transfusion #13 since being admitted. We've been able to avoid blood tansfusions for a couple days though. Yay for that! Joe's WBC and neutrophils aren't so hot, so I think that we're going to start getting strict and discourage visitors. We did have a few visitors this week, which really, really brightened up Joe's spirits. However, at this point, we're back to protecting Joe from any potential infections.

We had a little chat with Joe's doctor this week about "the big picture." Meaning, what's next? The first step was to take care of the CMV, which as of today is finally negative. The second step is to allow Joe's lungs to heal. That is already seen to be happening. After that is chemotherapy. Options are still being discussed. In the course of our discussion, we learned that this next year could potentially be even more challenging than we first expected. However, I've decided I'm not going to share all the details of the discussion here, unless it ends up becoming more of a reality. Each day Joe and I are learning that worrying doesn't tend to solve any problems. None of us knows what tomorrow holds. It could be a miracle. It could be another challenge. The best we can do is deal with each miracle and challenge as it happens. I think Joe and I are prepared for any challenges we may continue to face. But we are not going to expect the worst. That just seems to be a depressing and unhealthy way to approach things. Having hope is a much lovelier option.

I must say, that Joe amazes me every single day. He has been through so very much, and continues to go through so much. Yet each night, as we talk and pray I am blown away by the compassion Joe has for others facing all kinds of challenges. When we pray, I truly feel that "peace that transcends all understanding." I believe with my whole heart that whether it takes a week, a year, or even 10 years, that Joe will be completely cured of stupid old MDS. (okay, okay, this might sound like it contradicts what i just said about not knowing what tomorrow holds...but in my mind, it makes sense.) God is using Joe in a mighty way to touch hearts and lives right now, but I believe that even more is in store. For both of us.

Thank you to these wonderful people for sending cards!!!!!
99th Auntie (we received all three from yesterday! :) praying for you.)
Alyssa, Ryan, and Charlotte
A.M. & A.D
Anonymous
Anonymous, the riddler (I think I know who you are. If I'm right, Joe was off by a mile! [csw?]
The Baird Family
Ellen Tabor
Hsinn-Hung & Janet
Hung-Chi, Shiow-Jian & the Ho Family
Pastor Jim, Kathy, & Angela
Kendra & CF
The Lais
Lake, Mandy, Andrew & Christopher (We received the snail mail card too!)
Mike & Julia
Nancy Sakakura
Osamu & Yi-Shan
Sheena (from Belize!)
Sue-mei

Thank you Shelley, Janet, & Frank for your visit. Even though we have a rule of beating people up when they cause tears, we loved seeing you. Janet & Frank, thank you also for the gift card. Joe will surely put it to good use.

Thank you Pastor Jim & LihJen for stopping by. Joe really cherished that time. And thank you LihJen for all of the yummy and wonderful food!

Thank you Caryn, and Caryn's parents Mabel & Ron for the really awesome and amazing care package you put together for us. I've only opened the "undated" items with my name written on them so far. But wow, I'm really touched by your love and thoughtfulness. The shawl is just the most beautiful and soft hug ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our family was/are big Seinfeld fans. One of the episodes was all about opposites. George, the short, balding guy (you know I have nothing about bald guys)was having a positive outcome to most of his experiences, particularly in the romance field which was the opposite of what he had usually experienced. He exclaimed "That's it!" So he decided he would do the exact opposite of what he done previously...so there is precedent!
Can next year be any harder than this? I trust not! but you are right...todays mercies for today's troubles. Tomorrow's mercies for tomorrow's troubles. Our human nature just naturally plans/looks ahead, and we are now being froce by our situations to live just in this day. It is hard, hard, hard, and somewhat unatural. However we walk emphatically with you. GLA
P.S. Oh by the way, during our last serious talk with our doc, well the substance won't be repeated here. However, maybe I will get to tell Mei or you in person some day. Quite astonishing really. Nuf said.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for CMV negative. Thanks for your thank you. I pray for you 5 times a day and more. Keep strong.

ML

Anonymous said...

I'm soo glad you was well enough to see us! I wouldnt have traded that visit for anything.. even the Browns winning the Superbowl!Well... maybe that. ;)
Love ya,
~Shelley