Sunday, June 03, 2007

Doing well.

Joe seems to be getting a bit better each day as far as his lungs and breathing are concerned. We've been able to take walks around the unit, pushing around Joe's pet oxygen tank. Joe's is requiring less and less oxygen each day. Yesterday, he turned it down himself, telling the respiratory therapist, "I put myself on 2 liters today..." The therapist couldn't stop laughing at Joe. Tomorrow Joe will get another test for CMV. This next week we will probably learn more details regarding chemotherapy to treat the MDS now that everything else seems to be getting better. Joe's IV pole now looks pretty bare! All the antibiotics have been taken away, and a final anti-fungal med will probably be discontinued today. Joe is pretty much only getting maintenace treatment for the CMV, which better stay negative! Yesterday was nice, because Joe avoided getting any transfusions. Today, he gets more platelets. Speaking of which, on Friday, Joe received two platelet transfusions. Joe gets pre-medicated with 75mg of Benadryl rather than the normal 25mg, because he had a reaction once in the past. Since the 75 mg makes Joe pretty woozy, and he hasn't had any reactions lately, Joe figured taking 50 mg would be good enough. Nope. Joe ended up spiking a fever, getting a bit of a rash, and having his blood pressure drop. Oooops. All is well now, but obviously Joe will be sticking with the 75 mg now!

Last night we had the best treat. Joe's brother is in town for a bit! Albert was able to get some time off to come home after explaining the situation with Joe to his attendings and peers. Yay! It'll be great for Joe to have his brother around.

That's it for now.

Thank you so much to 99th Auntie (gla) and Ed & Mei Hwang for the e-cards.
Thank you Phyllis Miller for the snail mail to the hospital! It was so nice to see a photo of the beautiful family who has been praying for us for so long. Thank you!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my 2nd Auntie and A-kim (Aunt) in Taiwan. Thank you also for so faithfully loving us and praying for us.

Happy wedding day to Jeannette and Anthony. I'm sure it was beautiful!

And YAY for the UNGcredibles! :)

6 comments:

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Karen & Joe - you have been in our thoughts even though I've not been posting comments lately. I've been traveling a lot and have to leave again today for 2 weeks. But in service today, the second reading from Romans 5th chapter caught my eye and made me think of you two (as well as Dave and I) and I and our struggles. I wanted to share it with you:
"...knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us..." I don't know why we must endure the hardships we have been given, but in the end, it leads to hope.
Here is hoping tomorrows CMV test is NEGATIVE! and that you two will remain blessed and protected. Much love to you!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed seeing you Albert!
Take care of your brother while im in Arizona.

I miss you already Joe!

Love always,
Shelley

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen and Joe
thank you for the update -- you are in my prayers and I pray you have a comforting day tomorrow
GOD BE WITH YOU !
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Oh, such great news! And to treat yourselves to a walk around the unit!! Don't let anybody say that the Lin's don't know how to have fun. Now Joe, they say doctors make lousy patients...and you are proving that to be true!
I love the verse the sprague's included, it is one of the ones taped on my bathroom mirror...to which I added, "Jesus, you are our only hope"! Praying and hoping for really good news.
99th Auntie (Daddy said that wasn't disrespectful, but is it p.c.?)

Unknown said...

Benedryll...a fun drug. Thank you so much for your prayers for my family during the walk. You guys are so thoughtful! I love you!!

Unknown said...

wow...i'm such a dummy...i spelled "benedryl" wrong...maybe i'm in the wrong profession...

...anyway, LOVE KAREN AND JOE!