Hello, hello! It's Karen. I've temporarily regained control of the blog. It has been an interesting couple of days in our household. On Sunday evening, I developed some pains in my stomach. From then until now, I have experienced something quite similar to what Joe was experiencing post-transplant. As you may recall, he had little appetite, and pretty much everything that entered his body would proceed to exit in a most unpleasant matter. Yes, it is my turn...although I managed to skip the life-threatening diagnosis, chemotherapy, and transplant. Okay, I guess it is totally different. Apparently, I'm just one of those lucky people who managed to contract that Stomach Flu that seems to be everywhere. I was so frustrated, because I've been able to avoid getting sick for so long. The timing was awful too, because both of Joe's parents are also very sick. Joe started joking around that even though he is rightfully the "sickest" one of us all, he feels the greatest.
Joe traveled to and from the hospital by himself yesterday and today, which worked out okay. I've been wearing a mask, walking around with Purell in my pocket, and wiping down everything I touch with alcohol. Joe and I spend little time in the same room. It feels very weird, because we have been together almost 24/7 for months now, and I've gotten used to being the caretaker...or at least doing a decent job pretending to be a caretaker. And yet, this evening Joe made me congee/jook/rice porridge/mue/okayu/lugao/pick your favorite name... Seems a little backwards! I think I might finally be feeling better. I hope so anyway. What this short two days of a common stomach flu has taught me though is how incredibly tough Joe and others like him are. Two days and I feel like a miserable, useless, whining blob of blahness. Joe has been through so much more for so much longer, and yet he is still able to be the king of silliness and find humor in every step of his journey. Do I have the coolest most amazing husband, or what? I think the answer is that I have the coolest most amazing husband!
Enough about me, more about Joe. Unfortunately, the results of Joe's CMV test from yesterday were still positive. Today, they switched him to Foscarnet. It is not as well-tolerated as Ganciclovir, and can cause un-fun things like kidney problems and a decrease in Calcium. But Joe will be closely monitored, and this should definitely take care of the CMV. The problem with the Ganciclovir is that it doesn't work so well against steroids and FK5O6. While the doctors attempted to lower Joe's steroid dosage, it apparently wasn't enough. Joe can't be taken off the steroids completely yet because they are what make his blog entries so funny. I mean, because of the rash caused by the GVH. Even as the dosage was tapered, we could see that the rash was spreading. So far this hasn't bothered Joe too much though. His head has been spared, so Joe is still able to admire his reflection in the mirror. :) And of course Joe needs to take FK5O6, so little could be done with that. Today was Joe's first dose of the Foscarnet. He did notice that it makes him feel a bit nauseated, and very tired. Also, his taste buds seem to be acting funny again. We are confident though that Joe will be CMV negative by Thursday...and then he'll just need to take the Foscarnet for another week or so...and then we'll be done with it!
Well, we're still pressin' on.
Thank you so much to the Jou's for bringing us so much food last night! It was so appreciated. And thank you to Gordon and Julie for the sweet gift!
But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.
~Psalm 71:14-15
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Taiwan man want Joe no marry mountain man Jim. You say one dollar one mile, I too much. Jim say 2 cent. I like. I want to give 100 dollar. I bring from Taiwan many years ago. Chang kai-shek picture on money, OK. Joe no more go pee like woman. We very very happy.
a-qeng
Joe and karen, I will be praying for both of you tonight as I lie in my bed down the hall from Alivia and her mommy. Unfortunately Gretchen is also sick so she could not visit Alivia today . Just a cold but enough to make her taboo. She was very sad that she could not visit little Alivia. God is so good to provide loved ones in times of crises. Dave
Karen, you are just as funny as Joe, and no steroids. However, since I seem to track Joe's writings so well, I wonder if I have natural steroids? "Boss Woman" told me of your illness, it does stink to not be able to be around the transplantee! I bought a bleach spray and just spray everything I touch...am getting postively anal about the disinfecting thing. James' mom and I are comparing notes about new ways we have come up with to avoid germs. Howard Hughes had nothing on us man. Praying and loving you from Chocolate Town (even the asphalt is brown...on a good day you can smell the chocolate! Which will be my excuse for gaining weight due to my stress eating..."the chocolate made me do it"). GLA
PRAYING FOR YOU TONIGHT !
GOD BLESS YOU
You are truly an inspiration !
I hope the tests went well today!
Karen
I know that you have the sam-bat(nuts) gene from mom. You remembered that you wore different shoe on each foot for your violin recital and more. I still have the pictures to prove that. But you are not this much crazy just like the guy we marry you to. What has happened to Joe and you since? Of course I do enjoy it!
Dad
We hope all of you feeling better by now. God hear our pray...
Take care!
Love,
KT
Post a Comment