Wednesday, March 14, 2007

About Grandma.


One of the most difficult things about this past week, was that I found out that my paternal grandma passed away. I didn’t really have to deal with the death of someone near and dear to my heart until I reached my 20s. Since then, it seems to happen all too often. Still, there is comfort in knowing that my grandma is having a blast up in heaven.

As I’ve reflected on my grandma’s passing, I feel I’ve only just begun to get a better idea of what an absolutely amazing woman she was. My grandma was a respected gynecologist. She was a devoted Christian - one of the first members of her church. My grandmother could knit, she could sew, she created beautiful flower arrangements, and she had a flair for Chinese calligraphy. She was a loving and faithful wife for more than sixty years. She raised four successful and genius children (sure, one of them with the initials VSL is a bit of a weirdo…but a very lovable weirdo!). She raised chickens. She walked to the market each day to buy fresh produce. My grandma passed away very suddenly, two days before her ninetieth birthday. One big comfort is that it doesn’t seem she suffered at all. My grandma was healthy and strong to the very end.


So let me share some of my fondest memories of my grandma. One of my favorites, is that my grandma was the queen of giving piggyback rides. I think my grandma probably carried me on her back every chance she got until I was at least four or five. I loved it. It made me feel so close to my grandma. I was so spoiled when my grandma was around, I never had to walk anywhere! Looking back, I’m amazed at my grandma’s strength! She was such a strong woman in so many ways, it is easy to overlook the fact that physically, she was quite tiny. When my brother was born, nine and a half years after me, my grandparents came to visit us for an extended period. My grandma immediately sewed a special wrap so she could tote my brother around everywhere we went.


My grandma created beautiful flower arrangements. She created arrangements monthly for her church. I remember her telling me with a certain pride, that managed to not sound boastful, that while the other ladies who created arrangements for church were dependent on using Oasis foam, she didn’t need it. Not only that, but my grandma lugged her own water to church when it was her turn to do the flower arrangements. The summer my brother was born, my father made sure that the flower gardens around our home were gorgeous. While my grandma was visiting, she would clip flowers each day and our home was filled with beautiful arrangements.

One story often shared in my family is how my grandma had a gift for Chinese calligraphy. In fact, several of my family members claim to have this gift. But the event that proved my grandma was the best, involved a burglary. Turns out when thieves broke into my grandma’s home, items she had calligraphed were stolen, yet items calligraphed by other family members were left behind!

I think the one thing that I most respect about my grandma is that she was a completely selfless woman. My grandma provided for her family, she gave to the church, and she gave to the community. My grandma never seemed to want for anything in this materialistic world. She lived simply, she ate simply, and she gave, and gave, and gave. As a whole, I don’t think Taiwanese people express love as openly as Americans, but there is no doubt that my grandma’s love was pure and genuine. She didn’t express love by buying tons of expensive things for her loved ones. She expressed love by putting food on the table that consisted of the freshest produce she could find, by giving piggyback rides, and by looking at you with a twinkle in her eye. I love my grandma so much, and I will miss her greatly. We lived on two different continents, and didn't see each other nearly enough...but I always felt her love. I regret that she never had a chance to meet Joe while here on earth. But one day, we shall all meet again up in heaven. It’ll be a party up there!

Please pray for my family. I know my grandpa, aunts, uncles, and cousins could really use some prayer right now. And please pray for my parents as they are currently on route to Taiwan for the services.

I have typed and erased, and typed and erased some more. My words don’t come close to describing my grandma’s amazing character.. But, I leave you with the end of Proverbs 31. I really believe that my grandmother lived the life of a Proverbs 31 woman, something that I aspire to be…

Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark, she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she hold the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed, she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
~Proverbs 31:10-31


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your grandma... grandmas are very special people.
~Shelley

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Karen, I am so sorry for such a deep loss within your family. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman, and I so enjoyed getting a peek into your times together. I know when my own grandmother died 4.5 years ago, it was sudden and hurt so much. You truly have my deepest sympathy and prayers. God's blessings to her and to your family.

Anonymous said...

Comment #1 (which will probably be too long by far!): Thank you for the beautiful tribute to your Grandma! What a cool person you gave us the opportunity to know through your descriptions. I loved seeing the family resemblances: Your dad's resemblance to his mother (facial and the calligraphy...at least he is always telling us) and your resemblance to your mother! As a small child I could really see it.
I hope those in heaven can see us here (though probably with a much different perspective) because of your obvious love for your grandma!
Thank you so much for sharing. Gla

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I am so sorry for your loss. It is obvious that she has left you with many great memories....may those memories comfort you in the days ahead.
You and Joe are always in my prayers.
Love,
Neysa

Anonymous said...

God Bless you Karen --
Thinking of you and Joe often
---GOD BLESS YOU ALSO JOE !

prayers
PM

Tina @ Squirrel Acorns said...

Karen, I hope you and Joe are doing okay. I loved reading about your Grandma. Thank you for sharing her with us. I just loved the pictures you posted! -Tina