Sunday, October 22, 2006

Portion Control.

It has been a good week! Thursday, Joe went to work for most of the day. In the evening, we went to Uncle Charlie's house for dinner. Auntie said that Uncle Charlie prepared the whole meal by himself. It was outstanding!!!! Very impressive.

On Friday, Albert came over and we mostly just hung out and watched movies. It's always a treat when Albert comes home. Now if we could only get my brother Victor to come home more often...

Friday night, Joe and I were watching some blurb on television about eating, and portion control, and stuff like that. Well, it was mentioned that people eat less when they use smaller plates. Consistently, people put more food on big plates, and less food on small plates even though they felt like they were doing the opposite. The show also mentioned that eating slow helped with portion control. And so on and so forth, blah blah blah. SO.....on Saturday morning, Joe kindly prepared breakfast. This is what I got...half of a bun on a tiny little plate, with a tiny little fork. My husband is such a ham.














Saturday was fun. I made use of the cookbooks I received last weekend, by making a mess in the kitchen! I made devil's food cupcakes. I've never made devil's food anything before, so I wasn't aware that they would come out looking scary BLACK! I only screamed a little. haha. They were fun to make though, and unless my friends are liars, they were fun to eat too! Marcus hosted a dumpling party at his "mansion." (Yes, Marcus is living in a mansion for a year.) When we arrived, everyone was hard at work making and cooking dumplings. They were yummy, and it was a great time!!!! There are many great chefs in CrossRoads. It is a great perk to be friends with so many people who have a talent for cooking. (Not a perk for the waistline though...) I also fell in love with the kitchen in the mansion. It is huge. To give you an idea...3 sinks, plus a spigot over the stove, 2 dishwashers, 2 ovens, a big island, a little island, a couple warmers, a couple coolers. Crazy. Marcus kindly offered to let me borrow the kitchen for a week so I get take notes for my future dream house. I'm pretty sure that borrowing the kitchen for a week would require cooking for Marcus for a week. :)

Today, Joe went to church for the first time since the bone marrow drive in August. But it was the first time he attended service since...June? It's been a long time. It was great to see him there. Joe even shared some very touching thank you's. He's a great guy.

Thank you to Uncle Charlie and Auntie for treating us to a wonderful dinner! Thank you to Akiko and Joe for the super cute halloween cookies! What a sweet surprise. :) Thank you to Marcus for hosting the dumpling party, and all of the CrossRoads gang for making the dumplings and sides! Thank you to Mammen for all of the pictures and songs. We appreciate it so much. Thank you to Albert for the souvenirs from Mexico, and for hanging out with us!

Happy happy birthday Katrina. :) Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joe & Karen, I wanted you to know that we are reading your blog and ,more importantly, praying for the two of you. Obviously, with our precious granddaughter Alivia, we are also experiencing first hand the desperate need for God to intervene. I know that He will never leave us or forsake us but my prayer is that I can translate this "knowing" into a faith filled life. It sure sounds like He is giving you times of fun in the midst of illness. I am grateful. However, I say forget the small portions stuff, pig out, and enjoy. Dave Allen