Mr. Rhino really has little to do with anything. I just thought a photo of a cute rhino might spice up my post a bit! Mr. Rhino lives in the San Diego zoo, where we had the pleasure of meeting him face to face in June. San Diego doesn't bring a lot of happy memories to mind, but the zoo was quite fun.This evening, Joe and I attended a talk given by his doctor. Basically it was a moral perspective on stem cell research. I actually found a site that sums up the main part of the talk very nicely - far better than I could anyway. So if you're curious, click to read more about the facts and myths about stem cell research. It was very eye opening and interesting. Joe and I learned a lot of things we didn't know before. Also interesting was a photo essay that presented before, during, and after shots of various patients undergoing PBSC transplants.
The really wonderful thing is that Joe and I not only learned more about stem cell research, and more about other patients who have undergone transplant - we also had the opportunity to see Joe's doctor in a different setting. It was very apparent that Joe's doctor is very passionate about his work, and cares deeply for his patients. He was humble and positive, but also very honest. Very refreshing, and very encouraging. Not only that, but it was very obvious that Joe's doctor has so much faith in God as he talked about the Lord placing him where he is today. And, he gains so much encouragement from his patients. Several of the patients mentioned also have displayed incredible faith in their journeys.
It was clear that the transplant process is not all sunshine and roses...not even close. But wow...to see and hear about the strength of these people, and to know that Joe has a doctor that will do all that he can to make sure all goes smoothly...and to know that ultimately God is in control. Well, that is just a very neat thing.
"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
~Hebrews 4:16
No comments:
Post a Comment