Tuesday, October 24, 2006

serious stuff. funny stuff.

Yesterday, Joe went to work, and even did some dictations! He was pretty happy with the fact that getting back into the groove didn't feel as foreign and weird as expected. Joe also had his blood drawn in the morning. All of his counts went down a bit, which seems to be a trend the second week after chemo. Joe is still feeling good, so praise God for that.

The weather is getting colder, and the search for a match will only continue for a bit longer. We have such mixed feelings about it all. On the one hand, we want to get it over with and get past this part of our life. On the other hand we are anxious because of all of the unknowns. It would be nice if we could be guaranteed that Joe will be in remission forever and we can forget the transplant. But there is no guarantee, and because Joe started with high-grade MDS, the chances for a relapse without transplant are really high. Vidaza will start to lose effectiveness eventually...and at least 5 doctors in hem-onc (that is, all the hem-onc doctors we have consulted...) have said the same thing. Joe's best chance for a cure is with a transplant. Winter seems like an awful time to have to go through this, but then again, when is a good time? One thing we're thankful for is that if all goes well, Joe gets to recover at home. From reading the stories of others going through similar things, this isn't very common yet. I know that for Joe it will mean so much to be able to step outside of the hospital every night because it will mean an evening free of doctors, nurses, IV poles, beeping, and rumbling hospital beds. We are both very optimistic that the procedure will go well, but we know it won't be easy either. Fortunately, God is in control. All we can do is give everything up to Him.

***
On a much lighter note, (laughter is the best medicine, right?) I will share a story of today (can you hear Joe protesting? :) )

I am known for losing little things like pens and tweezers and such. Joe always accuses me of squirreling away hoards of pens that will never again see the light of day. :) Joe, is known for knowing exactly where everything is at any given point.

At some point late last year, the second set of keys for my car disappeared. Because I lost a set in the woods last spring (and managed to find them again several months later!) it was assumed that I was responsible. Every so often, I would go through all of my coat pockets, all of my purses, and all of my bags in search of the keys. They didn't turn up! Meanwhile, every month, Joe would turn to me and ask, "hey, whatever happened to the other set of keys anyway?" I would respond by rolling my eyes and saying, "they'll turn up. I must have missed one of my coat pockets..." Well today, Joe came downstairs modeling his winter coat, a cool hat, and a very sheepish look. Turns out my darling, sweet, organized, and responsible husband had the keys in his coat all of this time. Grrrr... Joe looked so very sheepish, I had to give him a hug. Then I thanked him for making me look good, just this once.

Happy day. :)

I lift up my eyes to the hills -
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
~Psalm 121:1-2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story, and from experience you can count on it to continue for the rest of married life! Laughter is one of God's good gifts to us, and I treasure it. I count on the verse that NOTHING can seperate us from the love of God. Not MDS, (BIG!); lost keys (little); not our trials (BIG and little)...He gave His only son for us, will He not freely give us all things. Okay that is two verses squished togeter...God is good, and is with us as we approach the inevitable destination of our journeys. I wish you God speed, Karen and Joe! As you place your trust in Him, He will reward you. Love, Gretchen