Hey folks,
Greetings from Fiji! The weather is great. There's nothing like hanging out at the beach soaking in the rays. If you haven't done so, you have to indulge in the suckling pig. I am currently exploring the depths of and finding new meaning to the term "cabin fever". My life right now should be titled a la Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go! (in your HEAD)." Actually, it's not quite that bad. Through the miracle of books, TV, and the internet, I am becoming a world traveler at fractions of the cost of actual traveling.
Thanks to the awesome power of steroids, I get to experience mild euphoria, greatly improved appetite, and insomnia. So this gives me loads of time to think. Lest you think that this whole transplant process as been one honky dory moonlit beach walk through a bed of roses (or something like that), I wanted to ponder the bone marrow biopsy, since I still have the residual soreness from a few days ago. I want you to picture lying on a beach in the Caribbean on pristine white sand under the shade of an umbrella overlooking impossibly blue seas and crystal clear skies. You are, of course, sipping on a daiquiri while thumbing through some trashy, inconsequential novel. Now, picture the exact opposite of that. That's what getting a bone marrow biopsy is like. I think at most centers, they sedate children when they do these biopsies. But, oh no, not so for the "adults". I'm saying, where's the love man?! Slip me some of the juice! I'm pretty sure that Hollywood movie producers somehow slipped into the oncology exam rooms and parlayed their knowledge of bone marrow biopsy into mega-blockbuster hits like Saw, Saw II, Saw III, the Texas Chainsaw Massacres. But really... it's not that bad. :) But, like the title, this a cautionary tale, so the next time your doctor mentions in passing "We'll probably need a bone marrow biopsy" in the same tone of voice as if he were saying "Don't forget to get your parking validated on the way out", be aware. Be very aware...
That is my random rambling of the day. I continue to do very well. Of course, I am anxious to find out the biopsy results. We should have some info this coming week. This weekend had been very nice so far. Karen and I were able to spend time with my parents in Monroeville for dinner last night, and my in-laws came and had lunch with us this afternoon. Always good to spend time with family.
As always, thank you all for the support, love, and prayers. And do me a favor, go rent Saw this weekend. (I've actually never seen it).
God's love,
Joe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Joe --
Last week I was thinking how nice it would be to have a vacation from my own aches and pains, which are nothing compared to what you're going through. Just one pain-free day! And then I could come back refreshed and ready to face it again.
I like your strategy, though -- keeping a sense of humor in the face of the pain and the frustration. I'll have to give that a try.
Hang in there! You'll have your life back before you know it.
Jocelyn
Dear Joe,
"Praise the God. God has a plan. He watches over me and my family." You wrote yesterday.
We recalled that you let us know you had rejected many calls for faith previously until Karen made you baptized. We remembered and was touched with your testimony on the podium in the church that day. Soon after that, you got this mammoth challenge. I would never surprised or blamed you if you angered and rejected God for the unfair suffer. You didn't. You flourished the pain into power. We believe that you have a bigger role in the future to serve others. We are very proud of you. Once upon a time, we taught Karen and Victor Jr. faith. Now we have to keep and learn faith from you and Karen. Love you always !
Mom and Dad from Indiana
Post a Comment