Thursday, January 18, 2007

Long day.

Sometimes it seems that Joe's body wants to create a little excitement just to make things more interesting. On Tuesday, Joe's platelet count was 10. He had a platelet transfusion. Yesterday, his platelet count went all the way up to 11! Today it was 9. Joe had another platelet transfusion. His body, after pondering a bit decided that things have been a bit boring. So Joe's body decided to break out into a rash after receiving the transfusion. It started out as a bit of itchiness in the neck area. Then some little bumps near the belly. Soon enough, Joe's whole front and back was bright red. Joe was in agony with the itchiness and burning. Then came some tightness in his chest, and nausea. Fortunately, some benadryl, solumedrol, and ativan fixed Joe up in no time...it also knocked him out. Joe thought he was asleep for about 30 minutes, but it was actually a few hours. There is absolutely no sign of the rash anymore, which is great. Joe got an EKG just in case. It was normal. A whole bunch of cute nurses were popping into the room to make sure that Joe was okay. He was being given the royal treatment. All is well now. Hopefully, Joe's body decides to behave better now. We were only at the hospital for eight and a half hours today.

His WBC is still low, low, low - just 51. Yet, Joe continues to avoid getting any fevers. Praise the Lord! He eats a bit here and there. Just enough to keep him going. And in case you're curious, Joe still has a full head of hair. It is stuck to his head like superglue. We're taking bets as to whether he'll end up losing it or not. Okay, maybe not. I don't want to be accused of encouraging gambling.

Just a friendly reminder, although we are thankful for the gesture, Joe is not able to receive fresh flowers and plants right now. Just knowing that people are loving and praying for Joe is the best gift ever.

Also, a certain day of a certain week, of this month is special. And although I like to acknowledge such things when I'm aware, this time I've been given strict orders not to say anything. So for those readers who know what I'm talking about - I'm not being bad and forgetful. I'm just obeying orders. And for those who haven't the faintest idea what I'm babbling about...that is good, because you're not supposed to. :)

3 comments:

lugerpitt said...

a bunch of cute nurses? is that your expert opinion? :-) Good to hear that today's drama finished nicely.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys--yes, loving and praying for you all, early and often. And--since I wasn't given any such strict orders, I wanted to wish a certain fella (E-T for short) a wonderfully special day and love from your niece in Seattle!

Love, Cousin Lilly

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Joe isn't losing his hair - I wish I could say the same - my problem however is just age. Happy special day! You guys are in the thoughts and prayers of all at PCC.

Standing with you,
Jim