Sunday, October 07, 2007

Light the Night


This past Thursday, October 4 was the 9th annual Heinz Field Light the Night walk. It is a way to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It is a symbol of taking steps to find a cure. It is a way to celebrate and support the lives of those who have survived a blood cancer, those who are living with a blood cancer, and those who have passed away from a blood cancer.

Many people know by now that I met some amazing girls online while planning Joe and my wedding. Some I met in person. Many I never met in person. All were so supportive while Joe was sick, and we would find ourselves suddenly bombarded with cards and love throughout his journey. Shortly after Joe passed away, the girls decided they wanted to form a team to participate in Light the Night in memory of Joe. I was invited to walk with them, and my Monroeville parents and 1st uncle were able to join in the fun as well. It was a really amazing and overwhelming night. The walk was very peaceful. It was so touching to see all the people on our team wearing tags that said, "Joe Lin." Most of them had never even met Joe before. It was overwhelming to see how many people were affected by blood cancer, and to just feel the emotions that filled the air that night. I'm so grateful to the girls (and their families) that participated (I swiped the group photo from one of them!).
Posted by Picasa
My cousin Lillian was in town this weekend. We had a wonderful weekend of cousin bonding. We also got very little sleep. The two of us could get jobs as professional sleepers, so the fact that we were willing to sacrifice sleep to spend time together is a big deal! I miss her already.
Today marks one month since Joe passed away. This month has felt like a hundred years. I know Joe wants me to celebrate his life by living my life. This makes it a little bit easier to go through each day with a smile on my face and a smile on my heart. (And you know Joe is still pulling strings up there. Joe always knew the importance of remaining humble, which explains the Steelers last week. This week Joe let our boys show off a bit.) I know I don't have to smile all of the time (and I don't), but the times when there is a smile on my face are the times I know for sure that Joe is guarding my heart. He's my guardian angel.Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
You warmed my heart with the sincere smile. we can sense Joe's around. Thank you for sharing. Lillian, my dear niece, a very active and very busy family physician from Seattle. She spent so much precious time and went to your church with you. We are very appreciated.

Be strong for Joe! We really miss him.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Karen,

You mean that Joe pulled string again
and let Steeler be humbled in the desert of Arizona last week and returned to completely shut down Seahawk for 21 nothing today in Pittsburgh? I agree. Please say thanks to the wedding group that supports you and Joe so much.

Q

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Sweetest Karen,
I had to admit that I am shocked that it's been a month. Time seems to have stood still for Joe in my heart becuase it doesn't seem that long, yet I know time can play funny tricks on us as part of healing.
I think of you daily and pray for you and Joe and your families. And I love reading your blog, becuase I can feel Joe's love and grace in the words you write. Surely he is around you as your angel.
((((hugs))))
Love you!

LisaBe said...

i can't say it any better than bethie. love you lots. see you soon--
xoxox
lisabe

Anonymous said...

I mistakenly toward Emily on the third month since Livi died, their sixth anniversary, that it was four months. "Mom" she said, don't worry, it is just a number, and besides it feels like forever". I know that rings true in your heart as well. gigi

Anonymous said...

Dearest Cousin Karen,

I think I actually caught up on sleep last night, and every minute of the weekend hanging out with you was SO worth it! Thanks for your dress, bed, parents :), fashion advice, photos, and for trading stories ;)! Also glad to have met your church friends and finally put faces to names. I miss you already too!

Love, Cousin Lilly

Anonymous said...

That was so very nice of all the strangers (and non-strangers) to participate in honor of Joe. It had to have been a very special event for you and his parents.
~Shelley