Monday, October 08, 2007
A letter from Vince Lee
Our parents set us up. I wasn't very happy. So, I developed a ploy to get rid of Joe. I started to bring him to church. All the time. For hours. (My plan obviously didn't work. *whew*) Along the way, Joe not only developed a relationship with God. He met Vince. My fellowship in Philly was so large at the time, I barely knew Vince. But Joe and Vince seemed to click almost instantly. Vince ended up moving off to Pittsburgh. We soon followed, and re-connected at PCC.
Vince wrote a letter to Joe for the service. It speaks for itself.
Joe,
I know I speak for the heart of everyone here
who has had the blessing of your friendship
who has ever worked with you as a professional colleague
who has joined with you in prayer
who has been at one of your Steelers parties
who has been the recipient of your handshake and warm smile
who has shared a meal and memories with you
who has tried one of your award-winning grilled portabello mushrooms
who has read of your journey online and has prayed for you in their hearts
who has loved you as a friend, a son, a husband, or a brother
that we all testify together what a privilege and honor it has been to share in your life. A privilege, because of how short and precious your time was. An honor, because of the person you were.
People who would meet you for the first time found you immediately likeable, no matter if they were outgoing and gregarious, or extremely shy and introverted, as I was when I met you for the first time in Philadelphia seven years ago. And all the same, you would extend your outstretched hand and warm smile to everyone. We don't know of anyone like you who is so genuine, positive, easy-going, thoughtful, and sincere, all at the same time. The surest way out there to make money is to bet against you not smiling for ten whole seconds. It simply can't be done. We will miss your sense of humor. You could be in any situation and make it funny. You wouldn't be the one wearing the lampshade over your head, but you'd be the one with the perfect comment for the situation that would have everyone laughing with no one's feelings hurt. Our fellowship and our church has been so blessed by your generosity and hospitality, and your expertise with the grill. You had it down to a science. The way you and Karen complimented each other as a couple was beautiful and inspiring. It was a romantic moment for all of us just even seeing you both walk together through the door. You were for each other, inspiration and passion.
Your humility and sincerity flowed out from your noble heart. During your hard fought battle these past 15 months, you were even at times apologetic for inconveniencing us with your leukemia. That kind of humility brings tears to our eyes. But even though your life was turned upside down on June 23rd of last year, the leukemia didn't take you away. Instead, your sincerity, your character, and your love for your family and friends shined even brighter.
Thank you for being so transparent with us. It didn’t come naturally, but you did it out of your love for us. Thank you Karen. Through your blog you shared your hearts with us, even through the most crushing moments. We all felt so helpless, and yet so amazed by the strength that was sustaining you both. Such giving and such faithfulness was Christ’s love in its fullest. Thank you.
God called you, Joe, to a rugged path so few of us have or will ever walk. He asked you to carry a cross He has only asked you to carry, because He knew that you would persevere on His wings. In return, you were given a knowledge of Him many of us will never know. And now, you truly are made perfect. Before, there were so many questions; many dark nights where you were looking through a mirror dimly. But now, as the Apostle Paul wrote, you are with Him, face to face. Before, you knew in part, but now you know fully, just as you are fully known. Known to Him who changes the seasons, calls each star by name, and holds all life in the palm of His hands.
I know you're in a better place now, but if there were a time machine, we would bring you to this moment right now, in order to show you just how much love you've inspired, and how great a legacy of love you've left in our hearts. And you would probably apologize for being an inconvenience. And we would be so inconvenient back to you because we'd hug you, quite firmly, and never let you go. So for now, we'll cherish your memories. We know you're watching. Someday soon, you'll be holding Karen's hand again, walking side by side, on streets paved with gold. We love you Joe. See you soon.
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. - 1 Cor 12:12
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh Karen, the friends you and Joe had, and influenced, what a treasure. But I know you knew that already, huh? gigi
Karen~
This is a LOVELY Tribute --
I received your note -- Thanks..
I look forward to meeting you one day-God Bless you so much --- you remain in my thoughts--
Peace be with you..
Phyllis Miller
What beautiful words and sentiment - thank you for sharing them with us!
Love you!
Vince is a good Christian and the most beloved friend. I thank him for the friendship and guidance to Joe. He flew in from California twice in a week and was the last friend to see Joe in ICU. I did not know Vince's mother. After the memorial service, she approached me and told me Bible stories with warm support for a while. I was very grateful and instantly learned why Vince is so smart and nice. Thank to Vince.
Dad
My dear beloved niece Karen,
I wish you have a happy birthday on Oct. 14. By then you will be recuperating and celebrating your birthday with your parents on the Hawaii cruise.
I know that your daddy has been sponsoring for this medical school 40 year class reunion for the last two years until Joe got sick. Then he was planning for you and Joe to join them for a family get- together. Your mom has prayed hard hopefully at least Joe was in remission and able to go. I am sorry that you have to go now without Joe. Wish you have a good trip.
I am very touched to see you and cousin Lilly together with the beautiful Joe's smile. I am very touched with your friend Michael and Vince's statements. I am also very touched with your wedding group's strong support. I have an urge to write from my heart with my limited English.
I wish that you come back to Taiwan to stay a while with your big troop of aunties, cousins and your new nephew. We are all very impressed with your courage and faith, very inspired by your strength. We love your blog.
God bless you!
3rd Auntie
台中三姨
from Taichung, Taiwan
Dear Karen,
We are so glad that you decided to go to Hawaii with your parents. Just relax and enjoy your vacation. You deserve it!! Hope you will have a lot of fun. And have a wonderful birthday!! Do share some pictures on your blog after you come back! Love ya!
Osamu & Yi-Shan
Post a Comment