Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Back home

.
I am back. My tropical paradise for a week was a Hawaiian cruise. It was wonderful. I hung out with my parents, I made fabulous new friends, and I even hugged a palm tree. We were a group of fifty-one celebrating my dad’s 40th reunion from Kaohsiung Medical College. Each time the purple banner came out people would stop and stare at our group as though we were a local attraction. It was pretty funny.

Hawaii was incredibly beautiful and pleasantly distracting. It was nice to get lost in a seemingly alternate reality for a week. I must admit I was a bit nervous about going. Hawaii has this romantic vibe that draws in plane-loads of honeymooners and canoodling couples. I wasn’t sure if my heart would be able to handle it. Turns out, whether they realize it or not, my parents and the rest of the fifty reunion folks that I hung out with during the week were amazing. Some of them knew the whole story about Joe and me; some of them did not know much at all. But somehow the time with all of them – even during the boring bus tour moments when everyone was nodding off – felt like one big hug. I felt supported but not smothered. Even my ultimate silliness was accepted.

I made some wonderful new friends. The trip wouldn’t have been the same without some other “kids.” Diana and I were buddies for the week. We definitely had some crazy times. Jim and Brian completed the other half of our “kids corner.” Many nights at dinner, the waiters would set up a gigantic long table for our group. The kids always occupied the same corner. We shared a lot of laughs…and a lot of desserts. Shawn and Lu-yi were the other two kids. They had a lot to celebrate - two birthdays, a wedding anniversary, and a baby on the way – so we didn’t get to see them every night. They were really entertaining when they were around.

Initially, I felt uncomfortable even mentioning Joe. I barely knew some of these people, and I didn’t want to be that lady who shares her whole life story with every person who glances in her direction. As the week progressed, I knew it was okay to share when I needed to. Joe was in my heart. We experienced Hawaii together. Being in Hawaii and being surrounded by such intense beauty, I knew that God was all around me. It made it easy to have fun and celebrate life.

The healing process continues, especially now that I’m back home. But a friend commented to me “He gives us the choice - to be held and stand tall, or to wilt and succumb.” I plan to continually choose the former.

A special thank you to my parents for taking me to Hawaii with them. They were really great. Emotionally, I’m still all over the place. But since my parents are my parents, they are usually the only ones to witness the ultimate grouchy side of my healing process. Now that I’ve officially mentioned it, they will proceed to tease me about it forever. But truly, I’m grateful to them. Because to be able to endure my ugly side is true love.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Sara M said...

Dear Karen,

I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful and safe trip. I also hope that you had a *fantastic* birthday!

I'm still thinking and praying for you sweetie. I know things are hard but I'm sure we all agree that you have the right to get a little grouchy sometimes! We'll all still love you!

Love, Sara

NETS said...

Once again, I am amazed by your bravery and grace. You are an amazing woman...you should get a hour on Oprah to tell your story. I am proud and blessed to call you my friend.
Love,
Neysa

LisaBe said...

i'm so glad you had a good time and even gladder that you're home safely. your parents are wonderful people, but your friends here missed you terribly :) you want to be held and stand tall; we're all about holding you and helping you stand tall. well, as tall as a little bird like you can stand ;)
xoxox
lisa

Anonymous said...

So happy, Karen, that you were able to go on this trip with your parents. And, how dear of them to be the wonderful support they are to you! Your honesty about your "grumpiness" is sweet but shows that you understand the "process" of grieving (as best as one can with losing a loved one) and hope to go through it with Strength from the One who will give you that "Strength!" God bless you always, Karen and may the Lord bless you and carry you always! I know He will because you are leaning on Him through all of this and the days ahead!

Anonymous said...

Karen,
Where is the picture of your buddy Diana? You two hid in the top deck till 3 am on the last night of trip without our knowledge. During your difficult time with huge ocean surrounding us and cruise activities had all finished we really really worried. As a young lawyer, I presumed that Diana gave you lots advice you were not familiar with while you had the chance to share your good faith of Lord with her as her parents wish. We are happy.

Mom

KMC8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KMC8 said...

We chose purple banner is because we want to be politically neutral in Taiwan, both or neither green and blue. 不綠不藍﹐ 亦綠亦藍。We lost the banner at Kona in Hawaii( pronounced havaee by local) Island. A miracle prayer by Diana's father Dr.Lin, it was found in the bus while the ship door was already closed for leaving. They were nice to open the door to get back the banner.I am very touched with Dr. Lin faith.
Dad

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Hi sweetie! Welcome home and I am so glad you had a safe, enjoyable trip! You are still in my thoughts and prayers.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

i am so glad that it was distracting....and such a beautiful place to be distracted in and what a group to be distracted by....i think your parents are very proud of you!i heard a line in a movie..."grief is a messy business". Sometimes weeping, yet still able to laugh, always thinking of the one who died, wanting to talk about them...afraid to talk because you'll start crying...irritable at those who whine about trivial things....then being irritable at some trivial things myself...I feel as thought I should be able to say: Hey, I have my own rules here, I am in mourning. Americans mourn in tidy ways....I think cultures who weep and wail and tear their clothing and throw dust on themselves are more realistic. Livi's death has affected me so much....even though my parents and siblings are dead. They died when older, not 2, not 31.
Oh well, I am rambling aren't I? Just feeling for you and appreciating your utter honesty in how you write your blog. Keep it up....we need to hear from you. Gigi