Thursday, January 31, 2008

Classroom Dedication


Today, I returned to West Penn for the first time since September 7. It was weird. I was nervous. I believe that my mind was unconsciously resisting this visit. Preparing to leave, I ran from my car back into my house at least five times to grab things that I had forgotten.

Turns out, the visit was better than I could have imagined. Today, the radiology department officially dedicated a classroom to Joe. They had already been in the midst of renovating the room. Joe and I were able to see the lovely new paint job many months ago. Now the room has beautiful new flooring and new desks and chairs. But the best part, is the beautiful plaque that is hanging outside of the room. I was told that the room would be dedicated to Joe. I was told that there was a beautiful plaque. I had no idea how lovely the plaque would be. The image in my mind was dinky in comparison to what I saw. Lilly, the lady who allowed me to bother her in her office to vent, cry, rant, and rave was the mastermind behind it all. She is also responsible for the 3 pounds of cheese cubes that I ate today. :)

More people than I would have expected showed up for the dedication. I saw much of the radiology department, several of the wonderful ladies from the 7th floor, and there was even a group from Allegheny General Hospital. Photos were shared. Memories were shared. It was actually very comforting and healing to be back in the presence of all the people who came to mean so much to me. All of these people cared so much for Joe, and in turn cared so much for me. It was good for me to see and hear that Joe hasn't been forgotten. It was reassuring to me to know that not only is Joe remembered, but his life continues to touch and inspire others.

After the dedication, and after eating 3 pounds of cheese cubes and crackers, I floated around the hospital visiting with people. Lilly and I even ran into three of the ladies who took Joe's meal orders each day. Initially, they walked right past me and then one of them spun around and exclaimed, "Karen!" These ladies often smuggled food for me to make sure I was eating, so it was wonderful to see them again.

I am so grateful for the whole radiology department, the nurses and staff from the 7th floor, the lovely ladies from dietary, and the doctors, nurses, and staff from the BMT offices. I hope they each know that.
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

NETS said...

Such a beautiful tribute, for such a beautiful person.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful plaque for a wonderful man. I'm glad the day ended up being more healing than expected. Thinking of and praying for you always.

Anonymous said...

Karen - the message on the plaque is beautiful - it really captures Joe. What a testament to him to have that posted for all to read. I'm glad that the visit was a good one for you. Constantly thinking about you and sending lots of virtual hugs... Love, Lauren

LisaBe said...

mmm, cheese cubes. :)

that is so wonderful. i love love love the plaque. joe was such a special man, friend, and husband, so it's very moving to see how appreciated he was as a doctor. i'm so glad that you got to see some of these caring people in a celebratory setting, too.

we miss you lots--we'd love to take you to the knitting festival on the 9th, if you'd join us, or just knit with us some other time, when you're ready.

lots of love,
lisa

Anonymous said...

Karen,
The plaque is amazing. I cried when I read the words and I only know Joe and you through your blog. Thank you for writing to me today. I meant so much to read your email. I hope someday we can meet.
Your friend,
Anita -- Amy Wilhoite's mom

Anonymous said...

Karen~
The Plaque is beautiful. What a lovely way to show love and appreciation to Dr. Joseph Lin..
I think of you.. God be with you ..
P Miller

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, Karen! I have looked at it over and over! "Dr. Joseph Lin" accomplished much in his short life and you can be so proud! Even in his passing, he still has accomplished much and touched and blessed so many. God had a plan for his life, even if it wasn't what we would have wanted. Be encouraged and know that you are loved by many and, even more so, the Lord! There is a quote I read by Beth Moore that I think helps us get through times that we don't always understand.....She says (not quite verbatim) "I know it's Him when I don't understand Him." God bless.

Ben and Cori Momma said...

What a beautiful plaque for a beautiful life! So glad the day was healing for you~

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . it's really powerful to see something like this done in Joe's memory. Maybe people who never got to meet him will continue to be inspired by your story.

Cheese cubes = good comfort food!

Hugs,
Jocelyn

A.M. said...

That is such a touching tribute! I am glad that the dedication ending up being comforting and positive for you. You have me crying in my office again like the sap that I am...

:)

April said...

What a wonderful plaque and tribute to Joe. It is a testament to those he touched in life and all that he accomplished in life. I'm glad the day was healing for you as well.

Love and prayers,
April & Paul

Nancy said...

Beautiful... just beautiful...

Anonymous said...

just read the blog today....your mom told me about the plaque. i can only imagine what it was like to go back....it is good to know people remember joe and you, and are affected by both. gigi

Anonymous said...

karen,
what a wonderful plaque. i'm sorry, i didn't know about the dedication. i would have stopped up in radiology to say hello and give you a quick hug. i'm glad your trip to the hospital was positive.
i regularly check the blog and think of you often. i've had something that i've been meaning to send you since November. i promise i will try to finally get it in the mail!
jen/beaksgirl

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Karen- that is a beautiful plaque. My OBS switched to West Penn so the next time I am there I will see it in person.

Lots of love to you
Sheila/bride2003