Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving.

Today, I'm going to start off by being brutally honest. No holding back. This holiday season, which essentially started yesterday, is and will be the most difficult holiday that I have experienced thus far. Two and a half months have passed and I have this perception, which may be real or imagined, that I am expected to get over it already and move on with my life. As if it is so easy. The numbness and shock have worn off. Distractions have decreased, and I'm faced with the cold harsh reality of my situation - just in time for the holidays. I'm finding that all of the various emotions that I had bottled up inside of me, many I didn't even know existed, are suddenly surfacing. It's not always pretty. To be honest, sometimes I find that I just need to curl up in fetal position and have a good cry...or two.

I think that my stubbornly optimistic attitude and extreme positivity confuses people. I feel as though I've given this false impression that emotionally, I have the strength of an Amazon. I suppose it is true that I have discovered within myself more strength than I ever thought possible. And most people know by now that I credit that all to God. Where else could it come from? But I've also come to realize that sometimes being strong means knowing that having a big cry is often necessary and therapeutic. I've held in too much for far too long, and it is extremely painful. A time existed when very few people saw me cry. It wasn't so much that I thought it was a sign of weakness, it had more to do with putting up barriers. Maybe I was protecting myself.

Recently, I've been trying to find balance. I know that it is okay to curl up in fetal position once in awhile and have a good cry - I also know that I can't stay curled up forever. I know that it is okay to smile, and laugh, and have fun - I often do. I also know that I can only run away from the emotions of my heart for so long. I've discovered that I need to give myself opportunity to feel the awfulness of the pain I bear even though it hurts, and even though the people who love me want desperately to keep me from feeling that pain. If I do not, I know that it will catch up with me in the future. So this is my life now.

I confess. I have a bit of guilt about writing such a depressing post. At the same time, I feel that if you are still reading my blog now, it means you care. So I bare my heart in an attempt to help those that I love better understand what is beneath the huge smile that is usually on my face.

If you ask me how I am, I will likely tell you that I'm doing fine. This is only a half-truth. It is true, because despite all that I have been through, if I sit and think, I know that I still have so much to be thankful for. It is true because every morning I am able to wake up and get out of bed. It is true because I am surrounded by people who are doing their best to love me and support me.

The other side of it is that I'm still grieving. I grieve the loss of my Joe. I grieve the loss of all the years we will not have together. I grieve the loss of the children we will never have together. I even grieve the loss of the grandchildren we will never have together.

At this point, I feel that I'm not really single. I'm not really married or in a relationship. I'm technically an adult...and yet somehow, it feels as though I'm back to being twelve. It makes it difficult to figure out where I fit these days.

I'm often bombarded with advice and pep talks. Often the words I hear are truths that I tell myself every single day. Yet, while I appreciate the intention behind the words I hear, the little feisty Karen that resides inside of me does not. She wants to scream mean things back like, "You don't understand because you still get to see your spouse every single day. You don't understand because you had a full life with your spouse. You don't understand because you have yet to experience the kind of love that I shared with Joe. You don't understand because your dreams were not shattered the way mine were. You don't understand because you didn't know Joe's heart the way I did. You don't understand because you are not ME!"

You see, there is a lot going on in my heart, mind, and soul. More than I know how to express. Some of it is rational. Some of it is irrational. All of it is very real to me. This world inside my head is pretty unpredictable. Now I sound like a crazy person. Crazy is good sometimes, right? :)

Mostly what I want to say is, please be patient with me. Sometimes I will be clingy. Sometimes I will push people away. Sometimes I will be crazy, silly, joyful Karen. Sometimes tears will randomly roll down my face. Sometimes I will say stupid things and that will have nothing to do with my grieving! Sometimes, all of this will happen in the space of 27.5 seconds. Just bear with me please, and know that if you've stuck by my side thus far that I love you and appreciate you more than you will ever know.

I'm ending this post with a list of things that I am thankful for. Yes, I've been throwing myself a lot of pity parties, but I never want to lose sight of the blessings in my life. Here we go, in honor of Thanksgiving...

I am thankful for my family and their unconditional love and patience.
I am thankful for the prayers and support of friends, acquaintances, and strangers who continue to stand by me even if they have no idea what to say.
I am thankful that I never have to worry about shelter, food, and clothing.
I am thankful that I was given the privilege of loving and being loved by Joe.
I am thankful for my church family and their unified support.
I am thankful for photos and memories.
I am thankful for music.
I am thankful for the wonders of yarn.
I am thankful for lip balm. (My favorites are Burt's Bees and Dr. Pepper Lip Smackers)
I am thankful for colored pencils and crayons and beautiful colors.
I am thankful for nature - the beauty of the trees, flowers, and animals.
I am thankful for eyelash curlers. I can't help it. I am.
I am thankful for hot showers, flushing toilets and soap.
I am thankful for all the things that make people unique - even if it sometimes makes them harder to love.
I am thankful for the stories and experiences of others and the opportunities to learn from them.
I am thankful that things that are perceived as negatives can almost always be turned into positives.
I am thankful that I no longer have braces or huge dorky glasses.
I am thankful that I've had the opportunity to travel to so many places.
I am thankful for comfy couches and warm blankets.
I am thankful for smiles and laughter.

19 comments:

LisaBe said...

oh, sweetie-bear. i'm thankful for *you,* among other things, and for joe and your family and the time we spent together. i'm thankful for your honesty, your depth of faith, your depth of emotion, and all the complexities that make you you. i'm thankful for time, which doesn't heal all wounds, but (i'm told) can help us cope with them, learn from them, and feel the pain a little less acutely--some day. i'm thankful for patience, strength, endurance, and your support system. i'm thankful for big cries, big beds, big hugs, big blankets, big dogs, big ice cream sundaes, big hot chocolates, and the other things that comfort me when i'm sad, scared, or in pain. i'm thankful for your blog and email. i'm thankful for your anger and passion and love, for rationality and irrationality.

i could never, ever understand what you're going through or what you've been through already. i just know that i love you and would be with you no matter how you're feeling. whatever you need, sweetheart.

anna, bethie, and i are going knitting at about 11 today, if you want company and distraction. if not, we love you and we'll wait :)

Anonymous said...

karen..........i have to say ditto. i have not lost my husband and do not knw your suffering. but emily & james have lost livi, and though their pain is 100 times worse than dave and mine's....it still is deep, sorrowful and too much to bear. the fetal position is fine....god has brought us there. i sometimes notice that christians say the most unlikely things, probably because they feel when we express our hurt, our devastation, our torment (which god has allowed) and are wrestling with these emotions, they feel they have to encourage with some scripture....which doesn't soothe at all. they may be nervous that we are going to lose our faith. i don't have "the peace which passes understanding..." that is a gift from god which he hasn't given us....yet, ever? we have no say in the matter, do we? No one can say the "right" thing...this trial is worse than losing your dog, your credit card, burning a cake,losing a job, denting your car. You are right....they are not you!
Joe and Livi are with Jesus....even that is not a tangible comfort. They are supposed to here!!! (if people feel this is self-pity...so be it. this is the only way i can grieve)The first holidays are going to be awful (you know, Joe, would say this sucks). No one can tell you how to grieve, "it is a messy business". Laughter and smiles do happen, but as Emily said, "our every breath and thought hold livi in it"....
We are forever changed...and I don't make excuses for that...it takes too much energy.
Your thankful list was to the point...we do get up each day and get through it the best we can. Everyone says it is god's mercy and grace, which intellectually i know it is..........and god means all things for good.....but, it will take a lifetime to see that, and personally i don't think i will know that on this side of life. god's choice....
personally, i think god gave us these emotions and he alone can cause them to heal.
i dread this season, i cannot see toy commercials, families shopping in malls....it is like a slap in the face. so i choose not to look, and try not to think about it. am i being disrespectful of god, no, i am reading and reading and reading on suffering (nothing else makes any sense....) and so being alone is good. we can't control those 30 second mood swings, can we?
Your mom and i have cried together for our daughters....how we wanted to protect you from this pain...we cannot and that breaks our hearts.
i don't know if you want this on the blog...i just wanted to tell you how i am relating to loss on my level...and am glad you wrote what you did..........it needs to be said. people need to know (well, read anyway) the depth of how you are suffering..........
my heart breaks for you, for livi, for emily and james, for my husband and sons.....we are tormented by this....truly. 'i love you karen.......livi's grandma

Anonymous said...

Karen, You are human!! You are normal! It is totally understandable and you are so mature in your "thinking" and that "thinking" is your maturity and growth in Christ! I cried when I read your latest entry. But, I am so happy that you can still "think" properly and understand. That understanding comes from your security that you have in Christ. He will be with you in all of your emotions, tears, loneliness, etc. You are blessed because you have Him in your life. A scripture that I have really leaned on so much in my life is "Take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" 2 Cor. 10:5 and it has helped me when I want to think the way "I" want to think and not His ways! It pulls me right back and draws me closer to the Lord. Call on Him when you are having those most difficult times. May the Lord bless you and keep you when you need Him most! He will carry you, Karen. I know that you know that. Blessings and love, A dedicated and caring prayer partner.

mrspeeps said...

Like others have said, I have no idea what you are going through or what you have already going through. Just know that I, as well as everyone else, are here for you, for anything you need, anytime of the day! I admire your honesty knowing that everyone is reading this and I am sure that blogging is the easier way to get your emotions out without losing it constantly. Please email me if you need anything at rachelpeoples at hotmail dot com.

We love you!

Rachel (mrspeeps)

Anonymous said...

*hugs* -jlin

Sara M said...

Hi Karen,

You are so right, there are few of this reading this blog who could understand what you've been through. You have every right and reason to feel the mix of emotions you described... please do not feel badly about it. You will be ok eventually, I know it, but you've got to let yourself grieve. I love you and am praying for you always.

Love, Sara

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen~
I still read your blog --
SOMEDAY I will meet you--
You remain in my prayers and I think of you so often..the words which you wrote, will touch so many hearts....
Phyllis Miller

Anonymous said...

Karen - you're right that we have no idea what you are going through...and from what we can see from the outside it just plain sucks! Please know we are still thinking of you, and still praying. You are in our thoughts and in our hearts.

E, T, and Leah

April said...

Karen,
If you ever need anything, Paul and I are here. You are still in our prayers. (((HUGS!)))

Paul & April

Anonymous said...

Dear dear Karen,

We are still here and will be always here for you, too. You are really amazing and beautiful. Like other people have said, we are thankful for YOU!
lots of love and hugs, Yi-Shan & Osamu

Ben and Cori Momma said...

I am thankful for YOU & your honesty. It all makes sense - every single word you said, though I cannot feel the way you do. But you don't sound like a crazy person.
I know that it has to be this way for a while, and though I don't know for how long exactly, I do know that it will change and grow as your heart does.
You are a gift from GOD. That doesn't mean you need to have the stregnth of an Amazon, nor does it mean that you need to apoligize for how you are in ANY given moment. We love you for you - every single, beautiful, complex cell of your soul. ((((hugs))))

Christine said...

Karen,

Joe will always have a place in your heart, as he will always in all of our hearts. And though that heart-place hurts right now, it will heal someday. But even after it heals, it will always be there, he will always be there. This doesn't mean to "get over it" or "move on". When you've loved someone that much you never really "get over it". No one does. Ever. But you find your way and heal and remember and the pangs slowly ebb into prayer and his spirit eventually becomes a song that you hum to yourself in quieter moments. Twenty years from now your eyes may still well with tears, but your heart will be full and you may even smile because the love you feel inside is still there and will always be. This is what it means to be touched by Grace.

I lost my brother 17 years ago and even now my heart still breaks.

Allow yourself to feel and be and say and do whatever you want right now. There is nothing wrong in being human.

much love,
christine p

Krissy said...

Karen - Every word you typed makes perfect sense. You are not crazy and you are one of the strongest persons I know. Though I don't know you personally, as a part of the Nest family I have been reading your blog for some time now and wanted to let you know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless and keep you.

Peace,
Krissy
(Krissyb1212)

Anonymous said...

i'm thinking of you, karen.
jen (beaksgirl)

Peanut Butter Cup said...

Dear Karen,I just want to say "hi" and, in case you are wondering, yes, I do still visit your blog... cause, of course, both you and Joe are still in my mind. :-)

On my computer background is the picture of fall leaves that I sent you in Oct. This version of the picture looks a little nicer because I had sharpened it a bit and the orange, red, green, and blue have become more vivid.

I usually don't like Fall pictures, which remind me of the cold winter season to come. But the glorious color of this particular picture strangely gives me energy and kind of motivates me to hold my breathe... to wait and see even brighter and more glorious spring that is promised to come!

I don't know if this makes any sense to you. But yes, hang in there. Since I can't post the picture here, I will have to email it to you again. :)

ttyl. God bless.
BIC, PBC

Kate said...

Karen,

I am thankful for YOU.

cheshire cat said...

Karen,
Thank you for your honesty. You're certainly entitled to all of those feelings you shared with us, even the darkest of feelings. I'm so amazed with your ability to be open about them. Thanks, also, for keeping the blog going. As long as you feel like doing it, we'll keep reading because we love you no matter what.
See you soon??? ;)
Cathy

Melissa said...

I could never in a million years say that I've been through something that could help me relate to your loss, because I haven't. I just feel sorrow for your loss and hope for you as you continue to try to heal.