Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Longwood Gardens/No more Hell

Today's photos are from a trip Joe and I took to Longwood Gardens. It felt like my first visit there, but apparently my family visited several times when I was a wee little girl.

I loved it when Joe winked at me. I just thought it was the cutest thing. And he never just winked. He would do it in slow motion which always made me smile. Joe had the best facial expressions. People would tell him he was like a cartoon. Funny, because people said that about me too. To think "Joe & Karen" could have been a cartoon on Nickelodeon!







































So, a year ago today Joe was admitted to the hospital. He only had one week at home after that admission. On our 2007 calendar where Joe marked important dates and appointments, there is a long arrow that starts at May 21 and goes through all of June. In the middle of that arrow, he wrote, "HELL." That pretty much sums it up.

I'm glad that Joe isn't in hell anymore. I'm glad that he is free from bone marrow biopsies, oxygen tanks, and IVs. I'm glad that he isn't suffering. But oh, I still miss him.

I miss him every single day. When we were living in different cities, Joe sent me a card that said, "My hug has a hole in it." That's how I feel. When I'm happy and excited, I miss sharing that with him. When I'm sad and confused, I miss being able to cry on his shoulder. When I'm angry and frustrated, I miss being able to vent to him. I miss holding his hand. I miss waking up next to him. I miss making him laugh.

I could roll out of bed with matted hair, my glasses, wrinkled clothes, drool on my cheek and a new pimple - and Joe would tell me how adorable I was. And I would believe him...well, until I looked into the mirror. :)

Once, I did a poor job backing out of the garage and put a little dent in Joe's car. Joe LOVED his car. He named his car "Sexy Lexi." He would often pause, look at his car, and say, "Isn't she sexy?" Joe was finishing up being on call at the hospital when the incident happened. Needless to say, I was terrified to face him. I was shaking when I called to confess. Joe never really lost his temper with me...but then, I had never dented his car before. Amazingly enough, he wasn't mad at all. Joe said, "well, did you do it on purpose?" (Of course I hadn't.) "Then I'm not mad." That was that. That was love.

I'm actually doing quite well. A lot of exciting things are happening, which I'll share eventually. But with each exciting thing is that bittersweetness that comes with knowing that Joe isn't physically here to share it with me.

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

April said...

(((hugs)))

LisaBe said...

:sniff:
saddest, sweetest post ever. hole in his hug.
i hate cancer.

Anonymous said...

what can i say.....what can anyone say....thinking of you. the things joe loved about you show so clearly in your blogging, and the man joe was ... what a guy.
i hate cancer too......

Ben and Cori Momma said...

You truly went together like a wink and a smile :)

Big hugs to you sweet girl. And much love!

Sara M said...

You & Joe were perfect, every story I hear proves that even more. Sennding you lots of hugs and vibes to keep smiling. I can't wait to hear your news when you're ready to reveal.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such sweet memories . . . we are thinking of you all the time.

My friend's three-year-old daughter had a procedure today to plug up a hole in her heart. She's doing great!

I wish someone could do that for you.

Jocelyn

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

You ARE adorable, even with drool and pimples. Joe was right. Believe him and damn the mirror.
I hate cancer too.

Kate said...

I'm glad to hear things are moving along for you - you have a wonderful angel in heaven looking over you, and as you pass these milestone days, you'll be able to remember, and celebrate, and heal.

Great things have always been your destiny, Karen. I knew it in third grade, and I know it now.

Many hugs, my old friend.

Anonymous said...

i havent had the chance to use the internet lately. my dsl at home has been down. these posts are wonderful... he will always live in your heart...
June

Anonymous said...

As always, in our thoughts and prayers....thank you for continuing to share your memories. E, T, and L

Unknown said...

Hi, Karen.. This is Darcia from Singapore.

My dear was dianogsed with 3rd stage Brain Cancer in April'2008. When both of us have just started our new journey in Mar'2008.

Since then he chose to hide away from me, his family & friends in STATES. No one is able to locate him. However, during these period, he has continued to email/sms/MSn with me.

2days ago, I was informed that he is in his last stage. As he has been avoiding to go for any treatment since Apr'08 till now.

My world, my heart was torn apart, yet I told myself to stay positive n be supportive to him.

Through we didn't go through any marriage but we shared alot within the short period since we met.

I wanna so much to be with him, staying by his side taking care of him. But I CAN'T for I don't know where is his actual location now.

Reading through your blog, viewing all the photos, I really envy you alot, Karen. At least you are given a chance to stay by your dearest love side till his last breathe.

For me, I can't do anything except to pray for him.

I miss my dear, JOE TAN TING SHAN....

Take care, Karen...

Love, Darcia

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I don't know you and only stumbled upon your blog by searching google for "staying positive."
I have briefly read through some of your more recent posts. A tear came to my eye. Very touching. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Teban