I took a much needed break from blogging.
Now I am back.
I had an amazing weekend. I have a wonderful friend that I met my freshman year of college. We first bonded when we discovered that we both get overly excited around the presence of food. Shortly after that, we fabricated a story about being cousins. Even after we confessed that we were not related, people continued to believe that we were actually cousins. Even her mom calls me cousin. I was her maid of honor; she was my matron of honor.
Cousin Van flew in to visit me over the weekend. Her visit was two-fold. She came to support me, and she came so she could escape the hustle and bustle of her life for just a little bit. It was such an amazing weekend for us. We had so much fun bonding, goofing off, and pretending we didn't have a care in the world. It was like being eighteen again, but better because we're grown up now. We laughed until our stomachs and jaws hurt. We cried together. We pampered ourselves and pranced around feeling fabulous. We cooked and ate on fine china. We had tea together. We shared our deepest confessions and then sighed with relief when we only learned that we're more similar than we thought. It is wonderful to have a friend who is gorgeous, but still makes me feel like I am the most beautiful person in the world even if I have a huge pimple on my forehead. It is wonderful to have a friend that I can be super silly with one minute, and then have a deep conversation with the next minute. It is wonderful to have a friend who says, "That's completely normal, I did that last week," when you share your innermost thoughts. It is wonderful to know that this same friend will tell you when you really are being stupid, or when you've hurt her...but then the friendship will only grow stronger. That's the kind of friend I have in Cousin Van. I was able to introduce Van to several members of my church family, and I just felt so proud. Van of course immediately bonded with everyone.
Life has made it impossible for me and Van to talk or spend time together nearly as much as we would like. Often times we'll go months without contact. But each time we talk or meet, we simply pick up where we left off. And each time, Van makes me feel like the most important person in the world. Thank you, dear Cousin for making me feel so fabulous. I think you're fabulous!

5 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Everyone needs a friend like that, and I'm glad you found her years ago and got to spend some much needed time together!
i have a best friend from college too! We call each other "fabulous" all the time. This is the first time that I've heard of anyone else throwing the word fabulous to describe one another. !!! That's just fabulous!!! =X
June
bloggers are brave people. you are wise to know when to take that break...but as one who is addicted to your blog, i am so glad to see anything you write. hooray for the cousin vann visit...a good respite for you...and her. friends like that are priceless! gigi
When Van was your matron of honor in the wedding. Your tear was about to mess around your beautiful face.
Van said:"Stop that!" You did instantly. But you hardly stopped anything for your daddy. For that reason, this old man is still very jealous of her. Tell your beloved cousin that and say hello to her.
I am so thankful that you have cousin Van to lean on during these times. I also love hearing/reading the posts from your dad. He is sooo cute, just like you. Too cute as you would always say. You totally deserve a blogging break any time you need one and kudos to you for actually remembering something from those hectic days in class (they are all a blur to me)! And here I thought you were always sleeping:) ZZZZZ
Love and prayers continue to you and all of your family.
God blee:)
Caryn
Post a Comment