Monday, March 31, 2008

Crazy Widow


Last weekend was Easter. This Wednesday would have been Joe and my third anniversary. This has put me in a bit of a funk lately. I've been sad, grouchy, and irritable.

Last week, as I was daydreaming/moping, I decided that I needed to do something crazy to cheer myself up. Since I was thinking about the wedding, it got me thinking about my dress. It was sitting in a box, in my room, in Indiana. It had gone through the whole cleaning/preservation process which meant that it may as well have been encased in armor. Despite this, I couldn't stop thinking about how fun it would be to run around in my dress one more time. Of course, I would need photographic evidence. And I would also be at risk of having people shake their heads, roll their eyes, say, "oh, poor, poor, crazy widow", and conduct emergency prayer meetings in my honor. I wasn't sure if I was brave enough.

I am part of a widow message board. I like to visit it to gauge my sanity. So I shared my idea with the group. They backed me 100%, urging me to do it. The next step was a bit scarier. I contacted some of my "normal" friends to see if they would be willing to humor a crazy widow with a crazy idea. They were extremely supportive and understanding. They even agreed to dress special for the occasion. I decided that they probably just felt sorry for me...which meant that I was probably taking advantage of them...which meant that I'm probably just a little bit evil. Or, I just have really awesome friends.

Victor was home for a few days, so we went back to Indiana. My mom was pretty surprised that I wanted to take my dress with me when it was time to go. In the past, I always said that it was perfectly fine where it was. I didn't tell her that her daughter was insane, but I think she already suspected it.

Yesterday, was the day that the event was to occur. In the morning, I almost chickened out and decided I wasn't going to do it. But the day was so beautiful. And really, haven't I learned that life is short? Gotta celebrate it.

So my awesome friends and I went off to the park and spent the afternoon taking crazy pictures. I had been nervous that I would get overwhelmed and just start crying. That would have been fine, but it didn't happen. Instead I was positively drunk with happiness. My friends made the afternoon so much fun. Cars would honk at us, and we would just laugh. They must have thought we were the oddest looking wedding party ever! I just know that Joe was there with us, laughing, and getting a kick out of his crazy gal and friends. That alone is enough to make me smile.

Thank you Crystal, Eric, Patrick, Ray, and Vivian so very much for humoring me and blessing me with an awesome memory. Thank you Sha and Louis too, because I know you were there with us in spirit. I love all of you so much, and I know that Joe did too.
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Ben and Cori Momma said...

totally.awesome.pictures!!

Karen - you truly know how to live life to the fullest. No wonder the sun was shining so much yesterday - Joe was really smiling watching you!!

XO!!

Tina @ Squirrel Acorns said...

Crazy widow or not, those are wonderful pictures.

Anonymous said...

Not a crazy widow but a beautiful woman celebrating life and a wonderful memory with awesome friends!
Sheila

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! I had so much fun reading this entry and seeing the funny pictures. It's great to see you smiling.
XO Neysa

LisaBe said...

my favorite crazy widow ever :) i love you SO MUCH!!!

Anonymous said...

Sam-pat-li-lo, just like her crazy father! Odd gene!

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Happy Anniversary!
You rock.

jocelyn

Anonymous said...

Oh, and she's a very smart bride who wears sensible shoes!

j. again.

Anonymous said...

well, you have outdone yourself! i think it was/is a great idea....joe must have loved it. totally his humor. gigi
p.s. that is one of the best uses of a "preserved" wedding dress ever.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful idea - and I also noted your sensible shoes. :)

E, T, and L

Heidi said...

These are the best pictures ever. I am crying laughing.

di said...

Karen,

I thought of you when I saw this video. You've probably already heard about it, or seen it, but I wanted to make sure...

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=ithct48cqw

You're truly a gift to this earth - I'm so glad you donned your dress and took those fabulous pictures.

Love, Dianna

di said...

On my last comment, the link cut off the last three letters (cqw)

video.stumbleupon.com/#p=ithct48cqw

Hopefully this works...it's an incredibly moving "lecture".

di said...

Ok, this is bordering on ridiculous. You have to begin the link with


http://

then fill in with the rest of what I left in the last comment. Forgive my ineptitude - and for clogging up your comments! I hope you find the video worth the trouble!

Anonymous said...

Karen...

You are the craziest, wonderfulest, most adorable person I know. I love that you pulled out the Terrible Towel in Joe's honor. You know he was there watching you and remembering the first time you wore that dress.

*hugs*

A.M. said...

Karen, I think this was an inspired idea and I know Joe approves!!! You've got wonderful friends there with you, and far away out here. I'd have loved to run around North Park with you all gussied up in your beautiful dress. :)

Hugs & love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

I like your gown with the red shoes! ~Shelley