Wednesday, August 15, 2007

6 weeks

Joe has now been in the hospital for 6 weeks. His previous stay, separated from this one by one blissful week, was 5 and a half weeks. We are so ready for Joe to be booted. Being on T-7 for so long is really rough. You see too much sadness when you are on a floor like this for an extended period.

Joe is hanging tough, but causing all kinds of trouble as usual. We were REALLY hoping this would be the week Joe got kicked out. Unfortunately, yesterday morning, Joe got a fever. It wasn't too high, but concerning since Joe had been afebrile for two weeks. By afternoon the fever was gone and Joe was feeling much better. Then evening came. Joe was so tired, he slept like a baby. A midnight check showed the he had another fever, 102.7. By this morning it was 103.3. So frustrating! Well, we discovered the cause is some type of infection. Cultures drawn yesterday were positive for two kinds of growth. In the next day or two the doctors will be able to determine what that growth is exactly and target it. Obviously the broad spectrum of drugs Joe is on now isn't working for what appeared. The other thing is that if Joe's line is shown to be infected, it'll be pulled.

Joe's bone marrow biospy results are still rolling in. So far we know that the chemo did what it was supposed to do by knocking everything down. Joe's marrow went from being 100% cellular to 5% cellular. The question yet to be answered is what all is in that 5%, and what will appear as Joe's marrow begins to recover.

Apologies if this entry doesn't make a lot of sense. My brain currently feels like it is on Mars. I've been joking with Joe that when he gets medications, I can feel it!

Thank you for continued support and prayers.

For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
~Romans 8:24-25

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes sense to me. I'm glad they finally pinpointed the cause of the fevers. You'll be home soon Joe! ~Shelley

Alivia's Momma said...

Stupid positive cultures. I remember that feeling. Fevers always make your heart sink. But Joe is tough and is going to kick this stupid disease. Then I will finally get to meet this man of yours. Just wish I could bring my Livi to that meeting but she'll be there in spirit.

NETS said...

Praying for Joe to come home as soon as possible!
Lots of love and hugs,
Neysa

Anonymous said...

Sending you and Joe lots of good thoughts and prayers for a kick out of the hospital very soon! Thinking of you constantly -
Love, Lauren

Anonymous said...

Well, you are on Mars. MDS/AML is another planet, as is T-7. Everyone on that wing is suffering a different life, which is now your life. I KNOW what those fevers and cultures feel like (as Emily so aptly put it); we know your sinking heart, we know your hopes and dreams. We pray for those hopes and dreams. Another day, another test, another drug, getting better. We are praying. Momma L. said I could come and see yunz, did she mean it? Tell the truth. 99th auntie

Anonymous said...

Joe got medicine. Karen can feel it. We instantly feel too it and sense the side effect,interesting. We must be in the same side, the winning side.

Q

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe and Karen..

Praying for you
Keeping you in my thoughts.

God Bless You
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that the chemo did what it was supposed to and keeping my fingers crossed for no more fevers.
hang in there!
Jen Davis
wow about the 1,000 cranes. that is so cool.

Anonymous said...

Joe and Karen,

We have been praying you fervently! Our hearts are with you. I am sorry we have not communicated, I really didn't know blogging is so easy. We would have communicated more if I had known it was this simple.

Just know that you are always on our thoughts and prayers. I will keep on reading the blogs since I know this is a way to communicate with you.

You guys are an inspiration!