Joe started off the day with a blood draw and a dose of Pentamidine. The results from the blood draw showed that his WBC is still low and his platelets are creeping down. His hemoglobin is still holding steady. Later in the morning we had an appointment with the doctor. We were just doing our thing, grumbling about the long wait, talkin' about the weather, remarking on Joe's peach fuzz five o'clock shadow, and doing some reading. Then we received some results from the bone marrow biopsy Joe had on Tuesday. It showed that 30% of Joe's cells display chromosome abnormalities - those abnormalities that put us in this predicament in the first place. The FISH for donor cells has not come back yet. But if we assume that the cells with abnormalities are Joe's, and the cells without are any combination of Joe and the donor, then Joe's marrow is now no more than 70% donor. This was not the news that we wanted to hear today. It just seems impossible that such a drastic change could occur in two weeks. The doctor is concerned, as one should be in this situation, but NOT worried. Remember, Pittsburghers know how to navigate detours and potholes. Joe was started on another round of Vidaza today. It worked really well the first time his graft dropped, so there are high hopes that it will do the trick again this time. To further discourage Joe's cells from getting out of control and to encourage the donor cells to fight harder since they are still in the majority, Joe's steroids have been tapered even more, and he has been completely taken off of one of his immunosuppresants. Please pray that the donor cells take over once and for all, and that Joe's GVHD doesn't flare uncontrollably.
Amazingly enough, even after receiving this news Joe and I seem to be handling it very well (if I do say so myself). We're a little more quiet today, but far from mopey and not quite discouraged. I can't speak for Joe (although from our conversations and our day, I can say that I continue to be amazed by his strength), but as for me I feel this strange peace about everything. My mind and my heart seem unable to waver from being completely positive that everything will be fine and that God will provide Joe with complete healing. Some might say that I'm in denial, or it hasn't hit me yet, or I'm being a bit naive. I don't think so. I can't think so. This whole MDS thing has been horrible. Yet, so many positive and wonderful things have blossomed from the muck and mire that is MDS. Joe and I have grown in so many ways. Joe in particular has developed unbelievable strength and grace in dealing with the ups and downs of his treatment. Then there is the support from family and friends, the stories of people inspired by Joe's story, and the people who have stepped up and registered to be donors, or donated cord blood. I think that there are a lot more wonderful things in store for us...not the least of which is complete healing for Joe. Currently, I refuse to believe anything else.
Here's my theme song for the day.
God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way
He will make a way
By a roadway in the wilderness
He'll lead me
And rivers in the desert will I see
Heaven and earth will fade
But His word will still remain
He will do something new today.

11 comments:
Hi Joe and Karen,
We just wanted to let you know that we are with you and keeping you in our prayers.
Chris and Ann
Pothole, yes, but you guys are driving a Hummer! I'm praying for you too and with you all the way.
Love, Cousin Lilly
I think of you often --
Know that you are in my prayers ..
Take comfort in GOD and remember you have many people praying !
Phyllis
We think of you guys so very often. I'm sorry you hit that pothole, but please know we are praying for you both, as well as the West Penn "PennDOT" crew taking care of Joe! ((((Hugs))))
atta- daughter we love and proud of.
ps: Did see the beautiful hair with
high power magnifier.Love it.
Thinking about you and sending you hugs!
-Tina, John and the boys
Karen & Joe,
Sending prayers your way. I'm sorry for these troubles but I'm praying that things get better very soon.
Love, Sara
Our prayers are with you every day.
Taiwanese Bible Class
You both are in our prayers daily. Paul and I are both puilling for Joe to get better!
Post a Comment