
Today we received news regarding Joe's tranplant. As you may recall, four people agreed to have additional tests to see if they were a match for Joe. Two of them returned with the same results as our first possible donor. One minor mismatch. Turns out that one spot is a weird one! One individual did match in that area...but mismatched in three other areas. Well, with God in control one minor mismatch is as good as perfect - perhaps even better. Our doctor agrees. Apparently, the mismatch shouldn't pose any problems.
So we now have THREE possible donors. Two females...one in her early 20s, one in her mid 30s, and one male in his late 30s. After a chat with the doctor, it was decided that having a younger donor would be the best. So our first choice is the girl in her early 20s. Transplant would take place in mid-January, so that we can enjoy the holidays! This means, that as long as all goes as planned, next year, my husband will have xx and xy chromosomes. Funny, huh? Furthermore, his blood type will change. He'll be going from O+ to A+. Wonder if he'll start having interesting personality changes too! :)
So praise God, praise God. We didn't get our perfect match, but that won't stop us from moving forward! I think it is just a relief to not be waiting, waiting, waiting anymore. Yes, the idea of transplant is scary. No, it will not be fun or easy. Yet with all the conversations Joe and I have had, and with all the support and love we have from all over the world, and with great doctors and nurses, and God on our side, I'm confident all will be fine. We can do it!!!!!!!!
***
Thank you so much to Sha for the yummy and healthy pumpkin muffins!!!! They were great. :)
Thank you to Graystone Church and Peggy for your continued prayers and messages.
A very HAPPY HAPPY birthday on the 16th to my beautiful cousin Yi-Shan. (Isn't she so pretty? Oh...but she is very happily married. :) ) She has been so great about SPREADING the WORD about MDS and registering to be a donor. I love her for that, and she had better come visit me soon, because I miss her.
6 comments:
Karen and Joe - such wonderful news!!!! I am thrilled for you and can't wait to hear if the extra chromosomes will alter Joe in any way - I hope he doesn't get PMS!
Lots of love coming to you!
Beth & Dave
Personally, adding a little female chromosone (sp?) could only be an improvement! Since you spoke about God's help, I will share a verse I am printing out to stick on a place I will be frequently reminded of its truth: "Fear not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God, I will help you, I will strengthen you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." Is 41/10 (And seriously, isn't that what is really keeping us going through all this scary stuff???) Love ya, Gretchen
Now that round 5 is complete and there is a donor match, you should be healthy enough to watch your team loose this sunday! Go Browns! ~Shelley
what a relief! Happy Thanksgiving . . .
Dear Joe & Karen,
Thank you for your e-card, hugs, and sweet message in your blog. I got an email from cousin Lillan, too, because she saw your blog and realized that it was my birthday. So, you brought another pleasant surprise to me. Thank you so much!! Also, thank you for inviting us for Thanksgiving. But unfortunately, Osamu and I won't be able to make it. We hope we can visit you soon during the winter break, though. Please take a good care of yourselves. We miss you!
Lots of love, Yi-Shan & Osamu
Hey Karen & Joe! What wonderful news! And just in time for the holidays. I'm so happy that you're one step closer to getting through this!
Have a happy & blessed Thanksgiving!
Love, Sara & Mike
Post a Comment