Sunday, May 06, 2007

Day +117


Thursday, Joe and I went back to the hospital for his third round of Cidofovir. If Joe is CMV negative on Monday, then we party! If he is still positive, then there is talk of giving him Ganciclovir and Cidofovir. There is a hope that the two together might effectively take care of the CMV.

Thursday, we knew would be a long day. The whole Cidofovir process takes 6 hours. (Joe also got platelets again, but that was relatively quick.)In the past, we usually went home around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. But last week was the Week of Waiting; we went home at 7pm. Still, we are blessed that Joe is able to go home. (Dear Baby Livi and her mom have been living at the hospital since her transplant two months ago.) Not only that, but we were blessed by a visit from our dear friend Sheena. You might remember that when Joe was admitted to the hospital shortly after being diagnosed, Sheena let me stay at her place many nights so that I wouldn't be as far from the hospital. Sheena started attending our church and fellowship the same time that Joe and I did. In the past four years she has become such a good friend. Unfortunately for us, she is finishing up dental school and leaving Pittsburgh this week. We're going to miss her so much!!!!!! Sheena has such a huge heart, and she is also just about as silly as I am. Actually, she may even be sillier. In any case, she made our long day at the hospital on Thursday feel much shorter. Thanks Sheena!!!!

Since Thursday, we have had a bit of a break from the hospital. Unfortunately, also since Thursday, Joe's rash has become increasingly worse. On Saturday, after a call to the doctor, Joe was put back on Cellcept - the immunosuppresant that was stopped when we first learned Joe's graft had dropped. This whole treatment process is so crazy. Lower the steroids and immunosuppresants and the GVHD starts to flare. Increase the meds and Joe's CMV becomes positive again. Then there is the chemo which initially lowers blood counts that are already low. Crazy.

When Joe starts to scratch he always gets a lecture from me...or a little slap on the wrist. This time around though, he is getting pretty smart. Joe will seemingly vanish into thin air, and the house will become very quiet. Then he will emerge again, looking a bit sheepish and with some patches of especially red skin. Very suspicious...

Our friend Sha invited me to go to the symphony with her on Saturday evening. I almost declined. I'm not with Joe all the time. But I am with him most of the time. Up until last night, all of my excursions were either during the day or they were only a very short distance from home. What can I say? I'm an overprotective wife. But Joe convinced me that he would be fine and that I should get out of the house - not only for my own sanity, but so that nice friends like Sha still love us once Joe is well enough to be out and about! Well, I had a wonderful time with Sha. It was a really fun night of music. Plus, I got to see my Uncle Kao. When I got home in the evening, I reenacted the whole experience for Joe. I'm not sure that the conductor or the musicians would appreciate my impressions, but Joe seemed to get a kick out of it. :)

We go back to the hospital in the morning. I'll keep everyone updated. Speaking of updates, check marrowtrek.org sometime this week. Jim & Jesse should be putting up an update on their progress soon!

~~~~
ANNOUNCEMENT

If you look at our links to the left, you will see that one of the girls in our prayers is named Kailee Wells. She is only ten years old and has already had two bone marrow transplants. Six years ago, her parents had an idea for a "Thanks Mom" bone marrow campaign. Since then they have been able to work with the NMDP to run a national bone marrow drive each year in honor of Mother's day. There are drives being held all over the country with a goal of 20,000 new registrants. You can also register online for free while funding lasts. The event runs from May 7-21. You can learn more here. Please, please, please SPREAD THE WORD!
~~~
Thank you Sha for the lovely card that you sent!!!!

Thank you Indiana Mom & Dad and Monroeville Mom & Dad for visiting us this weekend and bringing food!

Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.
~Matthew 18:19-20

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOur lives are so similar to ours it is uncanny. I even dreamt about you last night (go figure), we were at your parents house for a big dinner party...probably the one they will hold when Joe is all better. I am glad you went to symphony! Actually you can care for Joe better (with funny stories and re-enactments) by doing something aside from the routine.
I love the picture of you and Sheena...how blessed you are to have friends like her. I am missing her for you already; but I am sure you will always be soul mates. Of course you already know this, but you guys are being prayed for by me daily. Gigi
P.S. Livi is on cellcept also.