Monday, July 21, 2008

Cancer Sucks

You know how cancer sucks?
It totally does.

But there is something to be said about people who are able to blossom in the face of adversity. Or rather, how God enables people to blossom in the face of adversity. When I read about the journey of others dealing with cancer, my heart truly aches for them. Then...I'm struck by their beauty. Inspired by their walk. To me, it has brought new meaning to the bible verse, "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." (Matthew 26:41)

When an individual or a loved one is faced with something so harsh and so difficult like cancer, it becomes so easy to fall into the temptation of shutting out the world, giving up, and drowning yourself in self-pity. Your body is literally weak - either from the tolls of illness or the tolls of care-giving. The incredible thing is that God is right there providing the strength needed to handle the harsh new reality with beauty and grace. It's beautiful how faith can be bolstered in times of adversity - a time when it would be all too easy to dismiss God and decide that He doesn't care anymore. Even in times when I've witnessed people taking a break from God because life just seems too hard (I've taken those breaks too...), I still see God working. I still see a will to fight that is too powerful to be human. At least that's my view. We are weak, but He is strong.

Once again, I'm going to share with you some pretty inspiring people so that you can join me in storming the heavens with prayer. (And sending off good vibes, virtual hugs, and warm thoughts.)

Esther & Rupert - I met Rupert close to a dozen years ago. We were in the same fellowship at church. We lost touch after he graduated and didn't re-connect again until this week. It's difficult to re-connect with a person under such sad circumstances. At the same time, I feel so privileged to be able to witness a little part of the love shared between Esther, Rupert, & the Lord. They are a truly beautiful and awe-inspiring couple.

Erica - Erica has been recovering from her bone marrow transplant she had at the end of April. I love reading Erica's blog because she has such a gift of expression. She writes with this raw honesty that is so poetic, and even in her darkest days you can feel her undeniable spunk.

Ann & Chris - After doing so well for so long, Ann has relapsed and is on the road to a second transplant. Ann and Chris were just starting to makes all kinds of wonderful changes and plans - and then their lives were turned upside down again.

And now for some local heroes...

These guys have been all over the news and youtube because they have such a passion to live despite being told that they may not have much time.

Randy Pausch

Adam Frey

John Challis -

No comments: